The One Where Alex is Apologetic

It was just barely dawn and Alex was still sleeping next to me. I rolled over and looked at the window, smiling, the sun wasn't coming over the horizon yet but it wasn't near black outside. I felt my eyes drooping shut again and let myself fall asleep again.

"Oh my God," Alex's voice came from next to me, "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."  I felt him get up from the bed, and heard him trip.

I rolled over in my spot, "Alex?"

He didn't answer me. He just grabbed his laptop, his shoes and his bag. I saw him shove a crumpled dollar bill in his pocket.

"Alexander," I said getting up, "what are you doing?"

He just screamed and ran out the door, leaving it hanging open. I ran after him, stopping in the middle of the hallway. "Alex!" I called as I watched him skid to a stop in front of the stairs and dash down, leaving my sight.

I couldn't comprehend what was happening and I just fell to the ground on my knees, covering my face with my hands. I felt tears making my hands wet.

'Why does everyone have to leave me?'  I thought to myself.

I got up from my cocoon of blankets and pulled on my sneakers. I didn't bother going to any of my classes today. I grabbed my phone and shoved a fifty into my pocket. I left the dorm and started walking.

I walked passed the gas station and saw tire marks and deemed them part of the accident that left Angelica in the hospital. I thought about her for a second and stopped, but I shoved the thoughts to the back of my mind and kept walking.

I reached a shady corner store a block away from the gas station where I had gotten mini bottles of alcohol for New Years Eve with Lafayette and walked in. The bell above the door rang but I ignored it.

I walked up to the counter and the cashier smiled at me, "How can I help you?" He asked, still smiling.

"Yeah," I started, "can I get two bottles of peach schnapps and a bottle of Jack Daniel's?" I said staring at the limited variety of alcohol on the shelves behind the counter.

"Yep, ID please" he responded.

I pulled my license from my pocket and handed it over to the cashier.

He looked it over and handed it back, smiling again. He retrieved the two mini bottles and the Jack Daniel's from behind him and put them in a bag. "That totals to thirty-two oh five" he said.

I put the slightly crumpled fifty on the counter and he took it. "That's seventeen ninety-five in change," He said handing me the money.

"Thanks." I said taking the bag and heading out the door. I walked back to campus and into the dorm, pulling the bottles out of the bag and setting them down on the desk. I didn't drink often but I was too upset to even think about the consequences of drinking at this point.

I opened the cap of one of the mini bottles and downed the contents. The alcohol burned my throat but I welcomed the burning sensation.

I was laying on my bed with hiccups. I had finished off both bottles of peach schnapps and had drank a good bit of Jack Daniel's. My head was fuzzy and it felt nice. I yawned and fell asleep, still holding the bottle of whiskey.

I don't know when I fell asleep but I remember waking up, wit a pounding headache. I blinked a few times, it was dark in the dorm and I heard the click of the keys on Alexander's keyboard. "Alex?" I asked, with a raspy voice from the burning alcohol.

"Why'd you do it?" he asked, the sound of keys stopping.

"Do what?"

"Drink?"

"Alex, I'm twenty-two."

"So?"

"I can drink if I want."

"That doesn't mean you should."

"Maybe you shouldn't have left me!" I was angry, it was mostly the remaining alcohol talking but still. "I wake up and you're freaking out and running out the damn door! It was like five in the fucking morning Alexander!" I felt tears streaming down my face. "God, you're just like everyone else."

I heard him sniff. "I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, John,"  his voice cracked when he said my name. "I should've left the hospital sooner to sleep. I shouldn't have asked you to sleep with me. I should definitely  not have left you like that this morning. I just had a lot of work to make up from the weekend and my first class starts at seven and I didn't want to have to deal with my raging homosexual feelings a-" he stopped rambling abruptly.

"Your what?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said quickly.

"No no no, I heard you," I said smirking, "your what  feelings?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes you do."

"I have to go,"

"No you don't"

He got up quickly but I got up too, stumbling to the door and pressing myself up against it.

"John,"  he whined, stomping one foot.

"Alexander,"  I mocked.

He frowned and furrowed his eyebrows together.

"You're what?"

That's when I saw the tears forming in his eyes.

"Oh, Alex," I said, grabbing his hand.

He pulled it away and wiped the tears off of his cheeks.

I started to feel really dizzy but I ignored it and took a step towards the crying boy, "I'm sorry, I didn-" I hiccupped and fell forward, partially onto the floor and partially onto Alex.

"John!" I heard Alexander's frantic scream as he got onto his knees next to me. I couldn't see much of anything and the room was spinning.

"Alex?" was all I could get out before the whole room went black.