Chapter 10: Signs

/I'm not confident about this chapter, so please comment. I'll consider revisions. :D/

“Stay here. I’ll be back in a minute.” I told the three of them. I still don’t know what to get in my locker. I want them to believe my excuse so I need to think of something. Ugh. I hate this. Lying.

“I’ll come with you.” Ethan walked to my side, grinning victoriously at me.

Here he goes again…“You don’t have t-”

“Let’s go.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me to the locker room which is in the second floor of the building.

“Why are you so pushy?” I pulled my hand away from his grip and walked faster, leaving him behind. I don’t want to look at his perfect face as much as possible. I still feel the awkwardness around him since that kiss at the cafeteria. Thinking of it made my stomach backflip.

His grin became wider as he kept up his pace. “You know what? It’s obvious you’re lying.” His tone was teasing.

I stopped and faced him. “No, I’m not.” I sounded a little defensive. “W-Why do you say that?” I crossed my arms against my chest and raised my eyebrows like the mean girl on some stereotypical TV show. “You can’t read my mind.” It didn’t sound like a statement, more of like a challenge.

He stepped closer and bent his head closer to mine, looking straight into my eyes. “How can you be so sure?” His alluring voice made my heart skip a beat.

I can’t manage to look into his piercing eyes any longer so I looked down awkwardly and thought of a possible rebut to his rhetorical question. Think, Sarah. “Uhm. Err. Erm. Y-you. You.” I flushed a beetroot red as I stuttered in front of him. 

He laughed exultantly and intertwined my hand with his. “You just have to go with the flow. Don’t you realize? I’m doing you a favor.”

But why? I wanted to ask him but I shove the thought away and answered, “But you know what, I’m really not comfortable with this.”

“You’ll get used to it. I swear.”

Huh? “What do you mean?” This guy really has issues.

“Aren’t you supposed to be hurrying up now? I thought you need to get something in your locker.” He put emphasis on the word need. I hate him.

“I’m not talking about-”

“Your class will be in ten minutes. Your friends are waiting.” He said while checking his wrist watch.

I didn’t notice we were already in front of the locker room. “Okay then.” I answered curtly and trudged to my locker without another look.

“I’ll wait here outside.” He called out but I didn’t turn to respond.

My locker is on the far left side of the room. I search for my locker number and found it immediately.

I looked around and saw that there were a few students inside the room. I scanned for familiar faces and regretted doing it. Stephen stood right next to my locker, staring with a cordial smile.

I didn’t know his locker was next mine. I looked away and hurriedly searched for the key in my bag. Mission: Ignore the jerk.

But sometimes, the more you avoid something, the more it chases you because to my aggravation, I dropped the key – near Stephen’s shoe.

Argh. Should I get it? Ugh. Better leave it. I just need to explain to my friends later.

Before I could move an inch, he reached down for my key and handed it to me. “Here.”