Chapter 2: Memory

/* Thanks if you're still reading this story. Please do comment. :D */

PS. The song included in this chapter is not very much related with the story, but you can listen to it if you want. :D:D

____________________________________________________________________________

“You must really love him.” It was neither a rhetorical question nor a statement but I can sense from his tone that he wants a response.

            “Wait, how did you know?” I asked, wondering.

            “A girl like you won’t cry that hard for another girl right?” he chuckled. “Unless…”

            “Ha ha.” I snorted sarcastically. Is it really obvious? I doubt it.

            “It’s evident in your eyes.” He muttered in a serious tone, answering my unspoken question.

            An awkward silence surrounded the both of us.

            He was the first one to break the silence. “So, do you mind telling me the reason for the tears?” He rubbed in. He’s not giving up, isn’t he? I didn’t notice that tears continued to slide through my cheeks.

He searched for something in his pocket and gave me his white handkerchief. “Here. Take this.”

Sweet. I think I remember this scene in one of the romantic movies I’ve watched.

            I hesitated for a moment but he insisted. “Thanks.”

Should I tell him what happened? He’s not going to give up, that’s for sure.

I told him everything – every detail of it. I don’t know if this is right but I don’t see anything wrong about telling him. I won’t see him again anyway.

I can feel his eyes flicker momentarily while I was telling him my nightmare. I looked down and toyed his handkerchief to distract myself from his olive green eyes. I didn’t bother to meet his gaze.

“Your boyfriend is a jackass.” There was an edge to his voice. “He shouldn’t have done that to you.” He thought for a moment and said, “If I were you, I would have hit him in the face.”

            “No, I can’t do that. I don’t want to make a scene in the restaurant.” I bluffed but actually, I can break Nathan’s jaw if I want to. I enroll in taekwondo every summer when I was in high school. But I can’t do it. Even though he has hurt me so much, I still love him – and I’m such an idiot for doing so.

That’s my weakness – I’m emotionally frail. I can’t handle too much emotional stress. I haven’t admitted this fact to myself before.

            While I was deliberating, he stopped the car. What is he planning to do?

“Do you want me to do it for you, then?” He said, not looking at me.

My mouth fell open as I gasped in disbelief. What the hell? There’s no way he’s serious.

He faced me with a grim, set look in his eyes. “What? You want me to do it? Since you can’t-” He noticed my horrorstruck expression but continued to stare at me. I stared back, now anxious.

His expression suddenly shifted – his steady lips now curved into a smirk. Is this some kind of a joke for him? To my irritation, he burst into a boisterous laugh.