Chapter 9: Philosophy

“Hey, have I seen you before?” Nathalie exclaimed when I sat next to her. “Because you look very much like our friend.” She said, feigning innocence.

            “Whatever, Nat.” I laughed and rolled my eyes at her.

            “Why the drastic change in fashion, Blossom?” Chloe raised her eyebrow in curiosity.

            “Yes, Sarah. Yesterday, you were still fashionably clothed.” Natalie interjected.

            I pouted my lips in mock disappointment. “Don’t I look decent with these clothes?”

            “Aside from the fact that you look like some farm girl in your skirt, it’s pretty decent.” She said matter-of-factly. “I’ll just wish you won’t get arrested by the fashion police.”

I heard a low chuckle from behind me. Stephen. Good thing he’s in the mood now; it would be less awkward later. I turned to face him and flashed a smile at him – not the sarcastic one, the almost genuine one.

He seemed to be baffled for a moment but his face lifted up and a smirk crossed his face. “Why are you smiling at me? Are you stunned by my irresistible hotness?” He flexed his muscular arms while displaying his cocky smile.

I must say, the guy indeed has toned, yummy biceps. Yummy? Why am I drooling over his body? Eeew. I shook the thought off and focused with the real situation.

Be nice. Don’t let this jerk tempt you to become the monster that you were again.

Instead of throwing him my sarcastic smirk, I just sighed and turned to face Ethan who seemed bemused… and amused. He sat next to me; Natalie is on my right side and Chloe beside her.

“You look nice today.” There was sincerity in his voice and I know he wasn’t just saying this to make me feel good. Or was I the assuming girl?

I smiled cordially at him, a faint rosy pink coloring my face. “Thanks.”

Students are coming, filling the empty seats around us. Some flashed some curious and bemused looks at me, mostly the guys. The girls, especially the bitches, made some disgusted stares at me – but leered when they caught sight of the guy at my side. Some girls greeted Stephen; but based on the girls’ expressions, he might have ignored them.

“Good morning and welcome to our Philosophy class.” Mr. Schmidt greeted enthusiastically. “And you must be wondering who the guy seated next to Ms. Saunders is…” He pointed at Ethan. “Would you mind if you introduce yourself to the rest of the class?” He continued.

Ethan stood up without hesitation and introduced himself. “Hi. I’m Ethan Carter and I’m a transferee student from Ohio. Nice to meet you all.” He said smiling at nobody in particular. Murmurs and hisses surrounded the whole room, mostly coming from the tramps.

“Thank you Mr. Carter, you may take your seat now.” Mr. Varner prompted and the class went to order. I know for a fact that the bitches and sluts are now forming a plan to devour the new piece of meat.

I can see Ethan smirking in my peripheral vision but I ignored him and focused to what Mr. Varner is writing on the board.

 “Okay class, I want you to read this silently.”

A woman without her man is nothing

            I tried to read it over and over again and what I got was a sexist sentence.

“I want a few representatives from the boys and from the girls to punctuate this sentence.” He went on. “Anyone?”

Robert raised his hand and went to the front. He placed a question mark at the end of the sentence. He went back to his seat murmuring inaudible words. Okay? Everyone scowled at his absurdity – even the teacher.