Chapter 19: Ending First Year

Disclaimer: everything besides Pearlina and her family belong to J. K. Rowling.

Vote and comment.

-------------------------------------------

Few days later.....

It was a few days into the semester. Everyone was busy with their studies. I was busy myself with all the homework. I didn't really mind. I usually got them done early. In my spare time, I tried to research more about mermaids and my mermaid family.

Draco would spent time with me during my free time. Sometimes, we would have to hide from Pansy and the Golden Trio. The Golden Trio didn't know my full friendship with Draco. They knew that I talk to him sometimes.

I walked down the aisles of books in the library to find a book on beast classification. Librarian Irma Prince recommended me to look up on mermaids in the sentient classification book. I was on my way to the classification section until I saw Hermione reading a book. "Hi Hermione," I whispered to her. She looked up and gave me a smile. "Hello Pearlina," she said to me and returned her attention to the book in her hand.

"What are you reading?" I asked her. "I'm trying to find something on the sorcerer's stone. So far, I haven't found much of anything," she told me. {The sorcerer's stone...} "You should look at famous people. I remembered reading something on Nicholas Flamel who had the stone and the only person possession of it," I told her.

She closed her book and walked away. "Thank you," she said to me quietly before going to a different section of the library. I managed to find the book and walked to my little section in the library to read the contents.

I turned to the mermaid section. The book only had a few pages on mermaids. Compared to other books that I have found, this had more information. {This is the most that I have found so far. Lets see what it says.}

"Chief Elfrida Clagg refused to accept merpeople as beings under her definition of the term as those who could "speak the human tongue." Mermish was not considered adequate as it could not be understood above water."

{My Mom could speak above water...according to Dad.}

"In 1811, Minister Grogan Stump revised the definition of being: any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws."

{I guess it makes sense....}

"Merpeople and Centaurs requested to be classified as beast instead of being because they objected that they didn't want to share classification status with Hags and Vampires. {Hm...that is understandable.}

"According to the Ministry of Magic Classifications, Merpeople are classified as Dangerous and required specialist knowledge as well as only skilled wizards to handle them." "I guess it's because of their nature and abilities," I said my knowledge.

"Reading more stuff by yourself?"

I looked up to see Draco. "Hi Draco. What are you doing here?" I asked him quietly. "I was wondering if you wanted to walk with me around the castle," he said to me. "Sure," I said to him. I put the book back on the shelf and walked out of the library with him.

"Where do you want to walk to?" I asked him. Draco stopped walking and looked at me. "I was thinking to the Black Lake," he said to me. I read that there were mermaids in the Black Lake. "Sure," I said to him.