9. Muppet

From chapter 8:

“It was me who pushed you.”

Chapter 9

I could feel the anger building up in me as I walked back to Erik, facing him. Instead of slapping him and kicking him and punching him like I wanted to, I snorted.

He looked at me questioningly.

“Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Your friends ruined my first few days here. Till today, you haven’t done anything except stare at me coldly, so I shouldn’t be surprise you would start taking action now.” It was my turn to stare at him coldly, all my hatred for his gang concentrated on him.

“I –“

“Why did you save me anyway? Erica was doing a good job suffocating me. I could’ve died if you didn’t save me. Okay, maybe not died but I almost passed out. Isn’t that what you guys want? Me gone from this place?”

“No, you –“

“Because that’s what I want. If I could choose between dying or staying here, I’ll choose death. Who knows I might go to heaven, and that’ll be much better than staying in this hell hole with you hellhounds.”

I was shaking with anger by then. The people here had really driven me to the edge, I hadn’t realised how much I rather die than be here until I said it.

I opened my mouth to continue, but Erik grabbed my shoulders with his hands, shaking me.

“Will you listen to me before screaming your head off, Hale?” he asked, voice calm while staring at me with such intensity. His eyes were searching mine, willing me to just shut up and listen to him.

I closed my mouth, looking back at him.

Erik’s eyes filled with emotions for once as he stared at me without talking for a few moments. When he was certain I wouldn’t be interrupting again, he opened his mouth to speak, voice filled with sadness.

“I saw what happened. The whole thing. First period I’d been watching you and Arden. I saw what happened with Paige, and the school after first period. I saw what happened in the line at the cafeteria. And knowing Erica, she wouldn’t let it go without a confrontation.”

“So I was watching her the whole time, and sure enough, I saw her put her foot out to try to trip you.  But what could I do, I couldn’t betray Arden. Then I decided to push you.”

He paused to see how I was taking it, and I nodded for him to go on.

“If I pushed you, sure you’ll lose that chicken soup, but you won’t get scalded a second time. And, Erica getting a taste of her own medicine, that’s a bonus.” He added, a smile forming at the edge of his lips.

I looked at Erik as guilt washed over me. I had wronged him. He hadn’t wanted to harm me, he was helping me. He was a good guy.

“Why?” I whispered. “Why did you help me?”

He ran his hands through his brown hair as his eyes drifted away from mine.

“I never really approved of Arden’s behaviour around here. But he’s my best friend, I can’t leave him around.” He explained, pausing awhile before meeting my eyes again.

“Besides, you were pretty cool. You’re the first one who dared stand against him and Paige, Annabeth. Gosh, the face he made at geography, that was epic.” He said before breaking out in fits of laughter.

Since the day I entered this school four years ago, I had never seen Erik so full of emotions before. He used to be cold and confident, like Arden, but here he was, one minute uncertain and sad, the next bursting out in laughter.