THIRTEEN: SCARS THAT CAN'T HEAL

Beginne am Anfang

"She tipped him on her location," Cameron gritted through his teeth. He gripped the steering tightly until his knuckles turned white. Anger settling within him, blood boiling. "Get this to Eli. Not a word gets anywhere but to him, got it?"

"On it, boss." Rico responded. "Now, go get your girl."

Cameron chuckled. "Trust me. I will."

After the call, Cameron put his phone in his pocket and pulled his hood over his head. Discreetly, he went inside the building making sure he wasn't seen. As soon as he stepped inside, the man Riley was with had stepped out of a room. The man's face had gone cold as their eyes met.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I could ask you the same thing," Cameron responded subtly.

"I asked you first," the man spat back.

"A friend of the girl you took in that room. How about you?"

"Marcus. Her godfather. If you're a friend of Riley's, how come I haven't seen you around before?"

"Sometimes friends grow apart, you know," he said trying to save himself from an awkward situation.

"What's your name, kid?" Marcus asked, skeptical of Cameron.

"It's Cameron," he answered.

"You look like you fight or something. What do you for a living, Cameron?" Marcus asked.

"A retired traveler," he lied.

After a while, Riley came out of the room. Her face pale and flushed seeing Cameron standing next to Marcus. She approached him with a different expression on her face—disgust. "What the hell?! Are you following me?"

"Riley? Do you know him?" Marcus asked her.

She cursed under breath. "Unfortunately, I do. What the hell are you doing here, Cameron?"

"We need to talk," Cameron said sternly. "Now."

"What's going on?" Marcus asked.

"I'm not going anywhere you. I told you that already," she spat bitterly.

"Well, you don't have a choice, sweetheart," Cameron fired back.

"Hello, I'm still here!" Marcus announced as they completely ignored his presence. "How was the—"

"The session was great, Marcus," she said sarcastically. "As for you, go to hell." She then tried to walk away, but Marcus grabbed her hand.

"What did they say?" he asked.

She pulled her hand away. "It doesn't matter. I don't a stupid therapist's help. Tell Zayn to back off when you see him." As she started to walk away, the therapist walked out the room with a grim look making both Cameron and Marcus turn in their direction.

"Are you Riley's family?" she asked.

"Yes," they said.

"What's going on with her, doctor?" Marcus asked.

"Well..." the doctor sighed. "Based on what I was told from your friend, it seemed he may be right. She may be showing signs of PTSD. I ran some tests just to be sure. I should have by next week."

Cameron's heart fell to his feet as he tried to process what the doctor was saying—while having difficulty doing so—Marcus, on the other hand froze in his spot. He knew this well. It broke his heart to know that another person he cherished so dearly was experiencing this...again. As for Cameron, it was new. So foreign to him, that a person like her—so strong-willed and independent yet graceful—wasn't well mentally. His mind couldn't process it at all, completely in denial.

He ran outside without a word to Marcus or the doctor. He ran out to find her sitting in her car unable to move from where she was parked. She was blankly into space. He fiddled with the door and it opened. He sat in the seat.

"Leave," she told him coldly.

"Can't do that, love. Not when you have a situation on your hands that needs to be rectified," he told her. A sharp sigh left her lips as she shook her head.

"You've done it before without having a problem. What's the problem now?" she responded coldly.

It hurt when she said those things. To him, he knew what she was talking about. It was a moment that he wished he could forget. Maybe turn back time and finally do what he wanted to do in the first place. However, the poison in her words ignited a fire within him. One that wasn't going to take no for an answer no matter how stubborn she was being.

"Look I don't have time to argue about this, okay?" he reasoned with her fighting the anger that started to simmer in him. "We have to get out of here. Now."

"Not until my father is sitting in his house unharmed," she bit back.

"How unfortunate. You don't have a choice whether you like it or not, sweetheart," he spat back.

"And why's that?"

"Because he has your father," he revealed getting out of her car. 

A/N:

Whew. Things are starting to get a little bit spicy now. Things are getting out of hand, don't you think? What do you guys think Riley's reaction is going to be?

So, I have a playlist for this book. I'm still adding song to it. Do you want to see the playlist?

More importantly. I hope you guys are staying healthy as much as you guys can. Corona has been a major pain. If anyone needs to talk, my pm is always open.

See you soon, lovelies.

P.S.- Stream Dynamite 🤗🥺