EIGHT: THE OTHER DRAGON

BY MORNING she was awake by the pitter-patter of the rain. Drawn to it and allowed it to bring a small hint of comfort in yet another one of her restless nights. She couldn't count how many times she has woken up in the middle of the night, but here she was staring at the window and contemplating the next chapter of her life.

Eli's words played in her head as she thought about his deal. She couldn't trust him, she knew that. However, this wasn't about her feelings. Her reputation, her name. The name she was given was fluttering around the city—way too close for comfort. She was dreading that they would find her. This was a risk she couldn't afford to take it.

Routinely so, her father stood by the doorframe. His hand resting against it by his head as he looked on. Although it has been a month—a little over that by now—she hasn't really looked at her father. Before, his hair was softened black that brightened as it caught the sun's rays. Now, his hair was darker. Like wine, the time has been cordial with him, aging with elegance but filled with masculinity. Tall, broad shoulders, he was easy to spot in a crowd. The aura he had around him still burned white. It was how her mother fell in love.

He stepped toward her carefully, his eyes wary. "Another nightmare?"

She nodded.

"Do you need me to stay with you?"

"No, it's okay," she gave him a smile—one that had enough realness for him to buy. "They weren't too drastic times time."

He raised his brow. "Care to explain the horrid screams then? I ran here carrying my brass knuckles." He showed the golden metal weapon hiding behind him to her. "You had me thinking someone broke in."

She laughed nervously. "Sorry. It won't happen again."

It's always the same thing. You always scream for help and they never answer.

Her conscience was right. No matter how many times she asked, she would never get an answer. Her trust—faith—in humanity had vanished into the air. No matter who she met, she looked at them the same—spineless leeches with no sense decency. Even the ones who called themselves her friends. It was only her. It always has been.

"Want to talk about them?" he asked.

"No thanks," she said quickly shutting him down. "I'm fine."

"Are you really, princess?"

His deep voice was smooth, but he was cautious. His words were cautious enough not to push any buttons. He wasn't convinced by her at all. Even though she was his daughter, he had this urge to try to get her to open up to him. There was a wall between them that he hated. It hurt to see her stiffen and flinch every time he went to touch her or even sit close to her. The question rested in his mind with no answers keeping him from a good sleep too.

"I am," she reassured him. "Don't worry."

He sighed. "How can I not worry, Riley? Hell, I can't even go near you most of the time and I don't even know why."

"Dad, please don't do this right now," she warned, almost pleading.

"What happened to you, Riley? What really happened?"

"If I told you, I'd be risking your safety, dad. I can't risk that," she told him truthfully.

"What do you mean, Riley?"

"If I told you what really happened to me, you would die, Dad."

"You know, it hurts to know that your own daughter doesn't trust you enough to tell you what happened to her. I don't even know who you are anymore." With hurt evident in his eyes, he turned on his heels and stormed out of the room. She sighed knowing she'd have to tell him at some point. However, she needed to do this in order to protect him. She needed to keep pushing him away.

***

Once they noticed Riley was alone, the names they called her got worse. No matter how intimidating she looked, everyone in the school found it fun to pick on her. Today seemed to be that kind of day. In the midst of it all, Carmen was confused. Why would Riley begin to push her away? She knew that Jamie and Riley didn't get along, but she didn't care.

"That dragon you made out of the target over the weekend was sick," she said as she placed her books in her locker. "Can you teach me how to make one?"

Riley shrugged her bag on her shoulder. "I can't. The technique isn't safe."

"What do you mean?"

"I almost cut all of my fingers off learning how to do it," she elaborated. "That's why I can't teach it to you."

Carmen cringed. "Never mind. Anyway, what's up? You've been avoiding me all day."

"Sorry, I—"

The sound of girls squealing a little bit interrupted her. Curious, she searched for the reason and her heart clenched. Black combat boots blurred into her line of vision not before she caught a clear visual of an arm—well what's on the arm.

"Uh...Riley, you okay?" Carmen's worried gaze fell on her. Riley shook off the glint of fear that invaded her body as she turned to Carmen. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine. Don't worry about it. I have to go."

Riley walked away with one thing on her mind. That thing she saw was way too familiar, but that wasn't her concern. While on edge, she wondered if she'll ever see the one person, she took a chance on again.

author's note

Finally an update, YAY!

I want to know who do you think the new character is. This chapter is really short but I promise the next one will be longer. Usually the second main character would get introduced in the first chapter along with the first, I wanted to do something different, add a little anticipation of who it might be. Those who've read the first version would know who it is already. 

The book's pace will be different though. I want to give you guys the best content I can give during these trying times. Don't worry, I broke this chapter into two parts. Part 2 is coming soon.

More importantly, stay safe! Wash your hands and keep hand sanitizer near you. 

Lastly, wear a mask!

Have a good thursday, loves!

sincerely, trnsporting_