The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

            As she arrived to the top of the tree she landed on a branch with another elf staring at her in awe. The shock was quite satisfying on her lips and it only made Arria smile with pleasure as she rushed at the woman slicing her in the chest and abdomen. She watched with warmth as the elf’s lifeless body dropped from the tree and crashed below onto the ground where the daerions tore her body to shreds.

            She leaped to another tree where a terrified male elf stood in magic robes. She found it foolish that these elves chose to travel armor less, but they couldn’t maneuver as well with heavy armor and using magic didn’t require them the use of melee weapons… until now. Arria licked her lips as she swiftly ran for the elf dodging a few magic blasts along the way. She didn’t look back behind her where the part of the branch she was just standing on was blasted away and crashing down to the ground. When she reached the elf she was surprised to have one of her daggers knocked out of her hand by the elf’s mace. She held the other one tight with both hands deflecting another blow. She lunged forward knocking the elf into the trunk of the tree before switching her weapon.

            With her sword in her hand now she was much more confident as she parried with the elf magician. For being a magic user he was quite familiar with the use of a sword, but he still proved to be of far less skill as Arria triumphed by chopping his hand off.  With one last grin she sliced his neck letting him fall to the ground to his doom as well. These magic elves were far too easy.

            A blast knocked Arria off of her feet as she sat on the branch in shock looking for her attacker. As soon as she saw the redheaded elf her face glowed in anger. She rose to her feet to only be knocked down by another blast, this time from a male elf on the same tree as the redhead. His blond hair was in braids in the front and the wind caught the rest letting it flutter behind his head.

            Getting up again she had to instantly jump into the air to dodge another blast from the redhead. Anger filled her veins now as she realized she was being outdone by two mere elves. The thought of their unimportance of ranks defeating her was barbaric. She jumped onto another higher branch and circled around the tree finding cover. She shelved her sword and pulled a bow from her quiver. She pulled her favorite arrow from it, a fire-oak arrow that she had designed. The tip was made of a fire stone, that when penetrating a target the arrow burst to flame.

            She held the bow and arrow with her right hand as she leaped from branch to branch searching for the redhead and her blond mate. Finally she found them and held to the branch tight securing her footing. The redhead quickly found her and sent a blast of silver energy her way. Arria grabbed some black powder from her pouch and tossed it to intercept the blast, which it did efficiently.

            Now standing with a moment of opportunity she held the arrow tight in her hand as she aimed for the redhead. The arrow released in mere seconds and stuck straight into the redhead’s throat. She gagged for an instant before the arrow’s power kicked in and caught her body aflame before she clutched the arrow and fell off the tree into the abyss below her.

            “Noo!!!” Yelled the blond elf.

            With a raging passion the blond fired spell after spell Arria’s way, making her have to dive to a lower branch to avoid annihilation. Looking up at the previous branch she stood on brought shock to her eyes. It was only a pile of ash now trickling down to the ground below. She braced herself for another leap before another fury of magic headed her way. It was good she was so quick to leap onto the next tree as several spells hit the branch where she just was obliterating it as well.

            She used the sharp nails at the tips of her gloves to climb back up the tree and stand before the blond elf. Another blast of magic came her way but she was able to raise her flamberge just in time to deflect the spell. She walked forward blocking a few more spells before the blond rose his swords out. He had two scimitars with beautiful designs and words on their curved blades.