VIII; Riddle Me This

INFATUATION IS A dangerous and unfortunately natural instinctive state of mind. An emotion held primarily in relation to a person you love or obsess over, in this case, Mer.

Shortly after the champion selection, the Yule ball was announced to be commenced after the first task, and for some reason unknown to her, Mer has become obsessed with Dorian, become infatuated as many would say. And as for Dorian, well, Bella has been the target for his unwavering affection.

Walking the corridors after Transfiguration, Bella is left with a free period, which she decides to spend on the Astronomy tower. After climbing the winding tower she finds herself leaning over the balcony, observing the Forbidden Forest and thinking back to last nights incident. It certainly was an abnormal night, that's quite right.

The professors hurry into the chamber arguing quietly while Dippet makes a bee-line for the girl, "Did you place your name in the Goblet of Fire, Belladonna," he inquired calmly. Confused, she shakes her head, "I thought the age line was impenetrable by an underaged wizard, sir?" Stepping up, Avignon argues, "There's no possible way she could have done it, it's plain lunacy."

Seeming to agree, Dippet nods, "But unfortunately the Goblet is binding. You are entitled to fulfill your duties to the Tournament, Miss Ambrosius. I'm very sorry." And by the solemn look spread across his features she could tell he was sincere. With that, he, Avignon, Moreau, and Kalin make their way out of the room, quarreling along the way.

Turning to the remaining champions, she smiles nervously, "Well, isn't this a turn of events." Scoffing, Nyx storms out of the room, followed by Dorian who flashes a smile and a wink.

"How did you manage it?"

She sighs in defeat, "I didn't." Tom deliberates stepping closer, but decides against it.

"I believe you."
Smiling wistfully, the bespectacled girl turns her gaze to the door.

"I've given you no reason to not."

He was behaving rather queer that night. His movements were less sharp and more unaware. He's not showing any obvious symptoms of sickness, not that she would be any good with identifying them. Could he, perhaps, be.. interested in her? Breathing in a sign of contentment, the flowing breeze drifts through her soul, lifting it from the ground. Also ruffling her hair. A rough voice echoes through her mind, disturbing her from the wonderful silence, "I suspected I would find you here." Her grin stretched from ear to ear, swallowing her face whole.
"You've caught me."

Tom moves slightly forward, causing the girl to flinch. Frowning, Tom retreats, "Do I frighten you?" Remaining motionless, Bella ignores his question. Proceeding to step forward once more he asks, "Do I frighten you?" She also advances, surprising the both of them, "Even the thought is absurd." The atmosphere between the two changes, altering to a much more unrefined state. "Then why do I have an inkling you're fibbing?" Tom utters, taking another step forward.

And another, and another.

Soon, the pair stand shoulder to shoulder, heart to heart, drinking in the moment. Letting out a shaky sigh, Bella leans in faintly, "Perhaps I am frightened by you, what does it matter?" The sun shines through her hair, giving her the appearance of an a apparition sent down to extricate him from his sorrows. And he, standing there against the shadows, seems as if he was simply grateful to be in her presence.

Tom pivots on his feet, marching towards the stairs, "It matters more than you could imagine." With having said that, he disappears into the stairwell, leaving Bella to her thoughts of wondering what task one holds in store.

The stadium is packed with teens of ages ranging from 11 to 17, all thrilled at the extravagant snacks and lights. Everyone is excited for the task about to take place, well, everyone excluding Bella.

Pacing back and forth, she puts-off those around her. Mer huffs heavily, "Why in Merlins beard do you feel the need to stomp your way across the tent? It's distracting." Glancing to whatever Mer was occupied with, she chuckles when she sees her painting a red apple green, "House pride? Because honestly, when fruit is involved, you've taken it too far." Mer makes unsettling eye contact, "When it comes to Slytherin, it's never too far."

She opens her mouth to retort but is interrupted by ongoing Hufflepuff, "My money's on Riddle. My father says he's got potential to be a magnificent wizard." The friend crosses her arms and replies rather rashly, "Oh c'mon, have you seen the other Slytherin, that Bella girl? She's got this in the bag." Smirking internally, Bella makes her way to Tom. She taps him on the head, efficiently gathering his attention, "How are you handling the pressure, Riddle?"

Frowning in refusal, he readies himself to exit, "Fantastically. I could ask the same of you?" She scowls at his lack of a specific answer, "I'd say I'm fairly nervous, as any sane person would be. How do remain so confident? I'm sure we can fix that." He laughs and makes his way out of the tent, Bella shortly following.

Tom quickly pulls her to the side. He lifts a finger to his mouth, signaling for her to be silent. Nodding, her eyebrows furrow in curiosity. She glances down to his hands to find them grasping a vial of potion. Her eyes widen in shock when she realizes its properties, "You are absolutely mad! What would possess you to use such a thing, how did you even obtain it?" He places his hand to her mouth, quieting her, "I haven't as of yet. I was wondering, if you would like to? It wouldn't be cheating, seeing as I'll be the victor anyways."

Bella let out a breath of astonishment, "Do you honestly think that low of me?" Tom scowls, tossing it crossly onto the ground, "Of course not. I was just offering assurance to your survival. But don't take the opportunity, I do not care." He storms of in the opposite direction, toward the rest of the champions. Subtly bending over to grab the phial, she observes an anomalous detail about it. The front has a small inscription, reading, Utilize only in circumstances of fret, or else all will be useless.

Bella hastily tugs the mysterious bottle into her pocket, hurrying to Tom and the others after hearing trumpets erupt into song. Upon arriving, she notices four different paths leading into a labyrinth. Each trail intertwined with ivy wrapping around stray limbs gracefully.

Dippet places a demanding hand in the air and the trumpets immediately hush, "And now I introduce, the Labyrinth!" The crowds break out into cheers while Bella searches for Mer nervously. Promptly meeting her gaze, she hops up and down whilst shouting until being yelled at by a Ravenclaw. She sticks him the finger and turns back to Bella, giving her a thumbs up. You got this, Bells, she watches her mouth.

I sure hope I do, Bella remarks, stealing a look at Tom. He's remarkably calm, gazing into his pathway with steel eyes, not even breaking a sweat. The same could not be said for Nyx and Dorian. Nyx was mildly hyperventilating while Dorian proceeded to lean over his knees and take deep breaths. She herself, was also anxious. Her main goal was to at least complete second in the first task, it wouldn't be asking that much.

Headmaster Dippet then grins, his face holding immense excitement, "Now, let the task commence!"

Here goes nothing.

__________________________

The task will be explained further in the next chapter, but who else is as excited as I am?!?
Also, would anyone rather I write in first person or continue in third? Because I enjoy both.

All the love, xx
h.g.

Thanks for 500+ reads!!💚

**unedited**