III; Coincidences

COMFORT WAS A virtue that evaded Bella all her life. It always hid in the nooks and crannies that her stubby legs could never reach, no matter how determined she was to reach it. Seraphim Ambrosius was a cruel, vile woman of well-breeding. Not only was she hard of heart, but she was prone to fits.

Episodes that would leave the Ambrosius manor in shambles, left for Bella and her only slightly elder brother to put back together. Like a puzzle, only one that loses a piece every time you open the box.
One piece, two pieces, three, four.

Seraphim's omnipresent pureblood complex kept her from seeking the aid she was so depraved of. Orpheus was no help, he figured she was too indolent to get over her illness. That if she was in so much pain, she would find a way through means of magic.
Muggle medicine was beneath them.

On Bella's twelve birthday, a scene like no other played out. She could hardly believe her eyes, there was her mother at the bottom on the staircase, wand in hand. Seraphim was engaged in the unimaginable. Bella's eyes widened at the sight of her brother dangling from the balcony, frozen in agony.

"Mommy," she whimpered. Seraphim's grip on her wand did not falter, and neither did her gaze. Bella knew that something and to be done, she had witnessed her mother behave this way only once before. It was their former groundskeeper, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A week had past and no progress had been made. Seven days wasted, put to no good use.

She had spotted him in the corridors periodically but it was as though he was purposefully ignoring her. Which is absurd! He's the cynical maniac, not her.

Entering Defense against the Dark Arts, inconveniently one of the only classes she has with Tom, she notices him sitting towards the front. A grin overtakes her face when she sees everyone has avoided sitting close to him, she assumes even at this age people are intimidated by him. As she approaches him, his nose is buried in a book she can't determine the title of. After settling into her seat she takes a glance around the room. Professor Merrythought hasn't arrived yet but it seems like today will be an interesting lesson.

Many aspects point to this being accurate, one being the suspicious looking cabinet placed in the center of the room that occasionally moves, and also Tom who as of late can't seem to deter his gaze from Bella. She smirks, "Marvelous."

He frowns, "What are you on about?" She laughs half-heartedly at his venomous tone.

"I thought I would be courteous enough to at least tell you how I am.

Although, you'll have to work a little harder for my blood type." That seems to stump him momentarily. Her comment took him off guard, he was surprised she was capable of speaking to him with a steady voice, let alone be sarcastic.

He shakes his head, "You truly are something, Ambrosius."

"You as well, Riddle."

Subsequential short interaction Professor Merrythought decides to make an appearance. "Good morning, pupils! Welcome to another invigorating day of learning!" She waves her hands around enthusiastically as if to show her point, then acknowledging the cabinet, "Today we have the joy of working with Boggarts!" The majority of the class cheers, while Bella hangs her head in dread. Her fear is a damned thing, which just so happens to be the horrifying man, or shall we say, boy, sitting next to her.

And if she's being completely honest, Lord Voldemort takes form as fear itself. Bella turns to Tom and perceives an unlikely sight. His entire face has drained of color and he tightly grips the book he was previously reading. She narrows her eyes skeptically, "Are you ill? Because if so keep your distance, I have a weak immune system."

He turns to Bella warily, "My fear is not one to be showcased in front of cowards who can't stomach it."

You would never take the Dark Lord as someone who feels fright. Though she's sure it's something self-indulged, like his own death. Bella grins as though to comfort him but it just appears as though like she's disgruntled, "Something we finally relate on." She catches a ghost of a smile on his lips before they're ordered to form a line in the front of the room.

Merlin's beard. She had been distracting herself this entire time, focusing on Tom. She wonders if she can just conjure a fake fear? Would it take? It wasn't likely, a Boggart takes the form of what truly gives you the heebyjeebies.

In hope of class being cut short and not being required to participate she takes a spot towards the back but ultimately fails. She's up next and is feeling as apprehensive as ever. The girl in front of Bella had a pitiful fear of clowns, which is already a terrible start. Holding her wand at the ready she prepares herself. Her hand trembles as she observes the dodgy Boggart morphs into a figure she feared most, Lord Voldemort He takes form in the version she last saw him, her birthday banquet.

The Dark Lord stands before her with piercing eyes and serpent-like nose. He holds a disheartening hand out to her, "Join me, my dearest Belladonna." He draws out his words with in an offputting timbre.

Exhaling a shaky sigh, Bella shouts the charm as loud as her vocal chords allow, "RIDDIKULUS!" In what seems to be a cruel joke, her Boggart is defective. It proceeds to stare into her eyes; it begins laughing and that's when Merrythought concludes the lesson. She takes a quick survey of the room and makes eye contact with Tom. He frowns and lifts an inquisitive brow but Bella's far from the classroom before he has the chance to interrogate her.

__________________________

Love you all, xx
h.g.

**unedited**