VI; Mr. Potter

UNANTICIPATED EVENTS HAPPEN quite often in Bella's life. Things such as her brother becoming a deatheater on her 16th birthday, or the revival of the Triwizard Tournaments just a century and a half after terminating the games.
Due to Slughorns incapability to keep his mouth shut, six butterbeers in and he was ready to let the whole of those attending of the reinstatement of the tournaments. Everyone was raving about the news and left Bella to her wits.

The result being, Bella dazing off the entirety of breakfast.

Thinking back to the conversation she and Tom had returning to the Slytherin common rooms, she gains curious glances and jealous states from the students around her. She had certainly gained a few enemies, most unintentionally. Her close relationship with Tom irked the majority of the girls in her year though he hadn't ever paid them any mind.

Eventually, the puddings and custards vanish from the plates, leaving them sparkling clean and glittering in the sunlight shining through the large windows overlooking the Grand Hall.

"As you all know, the Triwizard Tournament was terminated after 1792's trials due to the vast death toll," Headmaster Dippet announced to the eager students drinking in his every word. The prospect of something newfangled had stirred something inside of the dull teens living the monotonous life of schoolwork. Bella briefly scanned the room and found that the atmosphere had visually lifted, the spirits rising in every student.

"Are you sure you're daring enough for the tournaments? I'm aware you are old enough but age doesn't equate to capability," Bella remarked while walking side by side with Tom. He had made a comment on his interest in competing, which caught her interest. She had never held him as one willing to do anything physical. The mood of the night was airy, bubbly with hope emitting from everyone attending Slughorns dinner.

"—we have received the honor of hosting the Triwizard Tournament here at Hogwarts. Now please welcome the lady's of Beauxbatons and their headmaster Madame Matherina Moreau." The flitters of chatter immediately ceased and the fluttering of hearts began as the girls of Beauxbatons waltzed elegantly through the hall. Swirls of blue floated around the room, radiating grace, and all the boys swooned, leaving the girls of Hogwarts to wallow in sorrow.

Madame Moreau made her way up to Dippot shortly after the girls, also making an impression with her outfit made of shimmering scales and feathered heels.

"I'm sure I can handle my own. The real question is, would you be able to manage life without me if something were to happen?" Laughing, Bella tilts her head back in amusement, finding humor in his words. Sobering up she turns her head to Tom to find him watching her intently. Clearing her throat, she distracts herself with a loose thread. In these moments, she wonders what has made Tom the way he is. Although, she's not sure she'd be able to handle whatever it is.

The usually noisy hall quieted for its guests, enthusiastic over the promise of action. After greeting Madame Moreau, Headmaster Dippet takes the stand once more, "And now my good friend Headmaster Kalin and the boys of Durmstrang."

Tom abruptly takes ahold of Bellas hand, much to her surprise. Frowning, she takes her hand out of his grasp, "I've thought immensely over what you've offered me. And I'm not sure I'm capable of committing to such acts. I have no experience in the Dark Acts and I'm not completely sure I want any." Running his hands through his hair in frustration Tom wonders what's coursing through her mind. He was so sure he and her had a common pursuit, a common goal. He still is. Tom could see it, see the darkness inside Bella that she nor anyone else could.

Sneaking a peek towards the Gryffindor table, she catches sight of Harry. But not the authentic one, this one is abnormal. She's not quite sure what his motives are, his purpose. Did Dumbledore send him? I doubt that he would second guess himself in such a way. When Dumbledore makes a decision he's usually confident in himself. Even if he holds an apparent favoritism towards Harry, he wouldn't undermined anyone, especially her.

Bella was one you could say was gifted. She excelled in all of her classes, and mastered wandless and nonverbal magic effortlessly. Even if she wouldn't admit it to herself, psychologically and academically, she was the perfect candidate when it came to Tom. Burdened with a life long amount of emotional turmoil, she understood what it was like to be lost.

After stomping into the hall, appearing as if they were angry at some nonexistent conflict, the Durmstrang boys and Headmaster settled next to the girls of Beauxbatons.

"For those of you daring enough, you must write your name and school on a piece of parchment and place it inside the Goblet of Fire. Each school will have one student selected, over the age of 17. When the time comes, the Goblet with eject three worthy names, binding them as as the official champion for their school. Once chosen, the decision is absolute, and irreversible." Whispers echo throughout the room and Bella glances at Tom.

He makes eye contact shortly and his stare makes her uneasy. Ever since last night, his presence has made her slightly uncomfortable and on edge. A soft breeze then drifts through the hall, flowing through Bellas hair. Toms gaze falters, turning to look at Headmaster Dippet, he avoids her inspection. Scowling she also turns. What's his problem?

Tom had underestimated the girl, he had thought she would jump at the opportunity to obtain power at the first sight of it. He would have to give her a taste of control, of domination. But there was something else bothering him. She was getting too close, gaining confidence in his presence and becoming comfortable. And in spite of himself, Tom could feel himself opening up to Bella as well. His walls were gradually being broken down by her consistent efforts.

Breaking the silence, Bella speaks under the embers of the common room fire, "Would you prefer to be covered in fish scales or feathers? Because personally I would prefer feathers."
She looks up to Tom, sitting upon the couch, light from the fire glistening across his sharp features. He chuckles but continues to stay silent. "What made you the way you are?" Taking a deep breath Tom's eyes flicker from the fire back to her. That small action made her immediately regret asking. She shouldn't have risked provoking an outburst knowing how unstable he is.

Tom gulps heavily and answers, much to Bella's surprise. "The ghastly orphanage I grew up in. Along with my filthy muggle father. The insolent muggle children couldn't comprehend my abilities, they called me a freak.
I used to torture them, hurt them for hurting me. I enjoyed manipulating them, twisting them to my will. They deserved everything they received. All muggles do."

Bella tries comforting him by squeezing his shoulder. "Do you actually validate your hatred on lowly bullies? Your past, and need for superiority is clouding your judgement. Not all are alike, some are kind and considerate. Predijuce is hardly excusable, let alone blatant discrimination. Mud-bloods have every right to magic as we." The tone of the room drastically changes and Tom stands with detest, with a wave of a hand the fire is smothered, leaving Bella in darkness.

"Feathers."

Brought back to reality by Headmaster Dippet, his last words of encouragement seem eerily directed towards her situation, "And those students not plagued with fear, good luck on your journey to glory."

__________________________

Spring break, woo + thank you everyone for 329 views!!🎉

All the love xx
h.g.

**unedited**