II; Sorting Hat

THE ROOM WAS similar to Dumbledore's only lacking his prized Phoenix and other personal possessions. Bella could tell the wallpaper had been since changed, likely due to many years of wear and tear.

The unfamiliar man glances up from his paperwork, a look of recognition on his face. "You're the transfer, correct? Ilvermony?"

Bella salutes him, "At your service." He grins, a smile so enlarged it seemed superficial and twirls his wand in glee.

***

"Callisto Everslone!" The line of first years ready to be sorted has dissipated and Bella is just as anxious as she was her first time. Taking the time to observe the room in search of Tom she receives no luck. What is she even expecting, perhaps a boy stuck in adolescence, lacking attractive features? Or maybe, the exact opposite, a man with sharp bone structure accompanied by striking qualities?

Deep in her thoughts, Bella is stirred by a booming voice, "Belladonna Ambrosius!" She shakily approaches the stool and looks to the hat which appears to be mocking her. It huffs in exaggerated exhaustion as it's placed onto her head and makes itself comfortable.

"Hmm, very interesting, very interesting indeed. You have a peculiar mind, my dear."

Bella chuckles, "Begun with the flattery, I see."

"Enthusiastic, daring, cunning, extremely sharp-minded. You wouldn't do too bad in Ravenclaw but not exactly right for Hufflepuff," it grumbles.

Crossing her arms daringly she replies, "As much as I enjoy the charade, stop being so indecisive. We both know where I belong." She was familiar with the hats tactic of ruling out all the options but she, and it was already aware of where she would be placed.

A pregnant pause settles over the room before the hat elicits a response, "Your mind interests me and I'm not sure Gryffindor has the elements you need to succeed." A sly grin finds its way onto her face, "SLYTHERIN!"

Bella's already wide grin stretches as the Slytherin table erupts into cheers. The bright eyes and welcoming smiles were all too familiar with her, it was as if she was being greeted by family. The majority congratulate her with firm handshakes and hugs, all but one. The strange boy looks on at the scene playing before him as if it's unworthy of his sight. Instantly she registers that this is the infamous Lord Voldemort, presently known as Tom Riddle.

He certainly proved to be the latter, his fair head graced with raven locks and eyes resembling obsidian. As she stares into his eyes, they reveal the tiniest bit of curiosity. A shadow of a smirk reaches his lips but she's distracted by a tugging at her side before she takes notice. A girl, around her age, quickly captures her attention, "My name's Merigold Avery, but you may call me Mer. I'm so glad you're in Slytherin."

Returning her grin she grasps her held out hand, "Belladonna Ambrosius. I have an inkling we'll be the best of friends." She nods and they're both eager to indulge in the feast before them. Bella could distinctively remember her first feast in the Great Hall, her being a transfer had already branded her an outsider and despite her being Slytherin, but Hermione saw around her friend's prejudice and befriended her, especially after finding Bella was a writer. She found listening to her read her work at night in the Astronomy tower to be soothing. Over time it became habitual for the girls.