Chapter 2: Home Sweet Home

Home for me wasn't a house with a chimney or an apartment with neighbors, for that matter. Home for the Boys and me was a bunker, left to us by older hunters called the "Men of Letters". The Boys had found the bunker after one of the Men of Letters had given it to them before he died. It was located in the remote part of Kansas, and was mostly underground. The Men of Letters was a secret branch of hunters that were a mix of the Men in Black and the government. This secret branch included a top-secret bunker, where the men lived and investigated supernatural crimes. The place wasn't bad at all; I got my own room with my own bathroom. It had a living room, library, garage, lab, kitchen, a hotel-like series of rooms, a shooting range, and even a dungeon. All of this was underground. The electricity and water came from God-knows-where, probably a generator and well or something. I never really asked Dean or Sam about it. Sam would probably give me some scientific way of how it works and bore me to death, and Dean would probably be very vague about it. It wasn't much, but it was home. It was definitely better than staying in dirty motel rooms every night for the rest of my days.

            The lights of the lampposts on the road lit the way for the Impala. We all sat in silence and the awkwardness was killing me.

            "Listen guys, I'm sorry I kind of blew up on you two today..." I started lightly.

            "No, we're sorry we thought you couldn't do it, Catherine. We...we just didn't want anything to happen you." Sam interrupted, his voice soft and asking for forgiveness. It made me cheery inside and I couldn't restrict a smile from spreading on my face. I couldn't stay mad at them.

            "No, no, it's fine guys." I responded, hoping they weren't taking the small disagreement to heart.

            "Really, Catherine. We were being jerks. You deserve to punish us." Dean added, glancing in the rear view mirror as he drove. A small smile grew on his face.

            "Nah, I'll just 'punish' you by cleaning you guys up," I responded. I was the "nurse" of the group. I always cared for the Boys after they got hurt. Be it they got in a fistfight with someone- or each other on rare occasions- or it was just a dangerous hunt, which was almost every single one.

            They both chuckled and I couldn't help but join them.

            When we finally got to the bunker, I told the boys to get a quick shower before I cleaned them up. They obeyed and vanished in the hall that led to their rooms. I carried the bags we brought and set them onto the floor. I would clean everything inside that contributed to the hunt when I got the chance. I walked over to the cabinet on the wall and took out the first aid kit I organized myself. I took out the things I thought I would need to patch the Boys up. This was a normal thing after a hunt, I would tell the Boys to get a shower and while they were cleaning up, I would set the medicines and bandages needed on the table, and I would patch them up. The table was a long dining table with battery-powered lamps. We used this table for many reasons: investigating cases, eating dinner, patching up, or even just having a beer. This thought reminded me that the Boys would most likely want a beer after today. I walked to the kitchen where the fridge was stocked with some foods and beer. There was one drawer that I stocked with water because beer just wasn't for me. I grabbed two beers and a water bottle and hurried back to the table where I found Sam waiting.

            "Here," I said, handing him one of the beers. He took it, untwisted the cap, and took a sip after saying a quick "thank you".  I nodded back at him as a "you're welcome".  I reached for a cotton swab and started dabbing the cut on his forehead that was bleeding a little.