Chapter 17: Reunited

LAURANCE'S POV

"Aphmau's... mother? Wait, she has a family??" I said, suprised. She had never said anything about them, I assumed they were, well, dead.

She laughed, "yes, I am very much alive and real. Tell me, how is Aph-"

She was interrupted by the sound of a sword slicing through flesh, a deep-voiced scream, then silence.

"W-What was that?" I asked.

Her face fell. "You will see. Come, I except they'll be arriving soon. You too." She looked in the corner. To my suprise, there was someone there. He had brown hair and pale green eyes; he looked familiar, but I couldn't place it...

APHMAU'S POV

We stumbled onto the pure white quartz, and looked up at the familiar temple. This place brought back terrible memories.

"No time to waste!" Katelyn said, snapping me out of my thoughts. She was right. I sprinted into the temple and saw him. He was real. He was alive. He looked exactly the same as when I saw him last, which for him could only have been a few moments.

"GARROTH!" I screamed, nearly tackling him.

"Aphmau, how did you get back here so quickly? Are you okay??" He hugged me tight.

"Garroth, I.. I don't know what to say. It's just been so long for me... but, are you okay?"

He looked sad. "Just a few moments ago... Zane, he faltered. I took the chance to kill him. He was my brother though and I... I..."

"Garroth. You saved so many people. I have no idea how that would feel, but you did something good."

"Before he died, the look on his face... he looked like the little brother I used to play with, the one I loved... I just..."

I had nothing to say that would make him feel better so I hugged him. We must have stayed there for a minute before I remembered where we were. I could feel the blood drain from my face.

"Garroth. We have to get out."

He realized it too and immediately pulled away, eyes widening. "Aphmau. Oh, Irene, you're right we have to-"

"A-Aphmau?" To my right, a woman was just inside one of the corridors. And she looked just like me.

"Mom?" I have no idea why I said that. Why did I say that? It was almost a reflex.

She put her hand to her mouth, and I noticed her eyes were a bright, sky blue, not like my brown. "Aphmau. Oh, my darling Aphmau." She ran toward me and embraced me.

"Aphmau... what's going on?" Katelyn asked.

"I... I don't know... who are you?" I said to the woman.

"You said it yourself. I am your mother, don't you remember?" She pulled away with hurt eyes, but then realization dawned. "Of course you wouldn't remember. It's been 2 years since you last saw me." She looked me in the eye. "I am your mother. But you probably know me as Lady Irene. Her wings raised up from her back, she made a very impressive figure.

"You-You're my m-mother? B-but how?" I was post for words. My mind had gone completely blank.

"Many years ago, I gave birth to you. Despite this, I continued the lifestyle I had always lived, one of adventure and danger. I realized that I couldn't bear to put you through all of that, so I unnaturally advanced your aging, wiped your memory and gave you to Phoenix Drop, my home village... I lived there 900 years ago." Tears sprung into her eyes. "You don't know how much it hurt. To give your only child. I thought I would never see you again." She beamed at me. "But you're here now, and you've grown into such a beautiful young woman."

I almost couldn't believe it, but I can almost remember... long, dark hair brushing my cheeks, and a soothing lullaby playing from a music box. "You...you are my mother..."

She looked delighted. "Yes! I know that must be quite a shock to you, but I musn't keep you. I also have people for you to meet."

I couldn't quite get over it, but I had to accept it for what it was. Behind her, I saw two figures walking toward us. They slowly came into view. I couldn't belive my eyes...

"...Laurance?" I whispered

His face lit up when he saw me, he began to run toward me, but stopped and bit his lip. I knew what was going on.

I turned to Garroth. "Garroth, I..."

He put his finger to my lips. "Aphmau. I have always loved you and I will never stop loving you. I know where your heart lies, and it is not with me. You deserve someone who has been with you while I was gone and who will stay with you forever. Go to him." He smiled, but I could see the sadness in his eyes.

I smiled back, then ran to Laurance and kissed him. My stomach felt like it was full of butterflies, but I felt like I could fly.

We pulled apart, and our forheads touching, he smiled. "Aphmau" he said simply.

I smiled. "Laurance."

"Katelyn..." I looked beside me, and there stood the other person. It was Jeffory.