Chapter 12: To Hell

APHMAU'S POV

"Aphmau, please, we have to hurry," Laurance said with a kind of urgency I'd never heard from him.

"You're sure you'll be okay??" Katelyn said worriedly. "Maybe I should come with you."

"No, Katelyn, you have to stay behind with the others in New Meteli. I'm pretty sure they'd tear each other apart without you," I smiled.

"Hey," Travis said.

"Heh, probably true," she smiled back.

"Aphmau."

"You're right, Laurance, let's go." I turned my horse in the direction of the werewolf village. "Goodbye Katelyn, Travis, Lucinda, Aaron... Chad."

Later...

We arrived at the werewolf village in a short enough amount of time. It looked the same but the presence felt... darker. I could tell Laurance was feeling it too.

LAURANCE'S POV

My head was pounding. The edges of my vision were tinted red and I could barely refrain from transforming to my shadow knight form. The headache wasn't helping.

"Aphmau," I said through gritted teeth, "we need to go in the portal. Now."

She nodded in response. As we got nearer, the pain grew stronger and there were voices in my head. We were right in front of the portal before I knew it. "Laurance, are you okay?" Aphmau asked with worry in her eyes. It was then I noticed I was twitching sporadically.

"F-fine, I shook my head."

APHMAU'S POV

"Laurance, are you okay?" I asked. I was worried, he'd been twitching since we got off our horses and I swear he was shaking. It wasn't like Laurance to be scared.

"F-fine" he shook his head. I couldn't stand to see Laurance like this. In that moment, something awoke within me, a desire to rid the world of the shadow lord as vengeance for everything he had ever done to my friends.

"Come on, Laurance," I grabbed his hand and ran into the portal.

LAURANCE'S POV

Did she just grab my hand? I thought. I didn't have much time to enjoy the feeling before a much more horrible and familiar feeling came upon me. The feeling of traveling between dimensions. The feeling that you were being crushed to death and ripped apart at the same time.

Before long though, it was over and Aphmau and I were standing in the Nether, gasping the hot air. Oddly enough, my headache was gone, but the voices... the voices had grown stronger.

Without any words spoken, we traveled down the usual path to the shadow lord's fortress. This place brought back bad memories and I guess Aphmau saw it on my face because she turned around and flung her arms around me.

"Laurance, I know I've already said it... but all those years ago... thank you for protecting me." I felt a tear on my shoulder. "Now it's my turn."

I didn't know what to say, so I kissed her. As soon as our lips touched, time slowed and I felt like I could stand there forever. We broke apart and she just stared at me openmouthed, blushing.

"Aphmau, I-I..."

Then we heard a scream. It was at that moment I realized we hadnt met a single guard even though we were nearly at the shadow lord's chamber.

I recognized that scream. We ran up the remaining steps and found Sasha, collapsed on the ground with the shadow lord nowhere in sight.

"Sasha!" Aphmau gasped.

"Heheheh..." I was confused for a moment until I realized it was coming from the ground, from... Sasha. But it wasn't Sasha. It was a deeper voice, more sinister and dark. Sasha herself almost seemed to be radiating darkness. The voices in my head were unbearable, my vision had gone completely red-tinted and I could barely hold off the desire to kill.

APHMAU'S POV

We found Sasha, but was it really Sasha?

"I know what you're thinking." She (he?) said in the same deep, sinister voice as they pushed themself up from the floor. "This is not Sasha, not anymore. This is the body of the rightful king of the overworld!"

"But...Sasha," I stuttered.

"That pitiful mortal was barely worthy to be my servant! They were but a stepping stone to the kingdom of flesh and bone. But now... now that I have a body..."the Shadow lord clenched his fist and chuckled. Shadows seemed to be gathering around his hand. I didn't even see what happened but before I knew it, he was holding a sword darker than obsidian with an aura of death radiating from it.

"Now you. Kill her." He looked at Laurance and flicked his eyes toward me.

I realized then that Laurance was in his Shadow Knight form. His eyes were twitching again, but this time they were a deep blood red, matching the color of his blade and armour.

"Laurance. Run." I grabbed his hand again, and with the laugh of Sasha the shadow lord behind us, I ran, Laurance stumbling behind me.

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! If you see any typos ignore them, I wrote this on mobile because the computer was taken. (Luckily for you I managed to catch that I switched "fist" with "fish")

Ciao~

P.s. thank you so much for 25 votes and over 200 reads! It means so much to me, as do all the kind comments you guys leave. Keep being amazing <3