•13 - Eagle•

Eagle: a large bird of prey with a massive hooked bill and long broad wings, known for its keen sight and powerful soaring flight.

•She•

Yet more days passed.

He could not remember almost anything anymore, and each evening, I walked Him around, telling Him about ideas, objects, and beings, just like He always had done for me. At times, His vision completely blacked out, and He became panic-stricken then. But I held Him tight during these ordeals, and told Him to close His eyes.

"Imagine you're asleep," I said. "Imagine this is a beautiful dream."

"It is," He sighed, shaking against my breast. "It is but a dream."

He didn't collect wood anymore. He couldn't, because He had no idea what was to be done. And me? Goodness, I'd never even seen the actual sun.

Our days were darker nowadays, so He said, or maybe it was just His failing eyes. I always wondered whether I'd ever been as bad as He was now, but a memory once gone was impossible to bring back. You wouldn't believe a curse could also be a boon, if you hadn't been in our shoes; hadn't laughed and danced and loved, and lost it all too soon.

It was a warm day today, and we were seated near the flowers. I was telling Him all that He'd ever told me about them, also adding things that were unique to me. I told Him how these flowers talked, and surprisingly, He believed in a wink. I hadn't wanted Him to do so, I'd wanted Him to question my words. But the He I knew was slipping away, and all I could do was watch.

Not once did it occur to me, that this might be karma for my sin. Because it wasn't, I knew. For all of this was destined anyway, so why not live a little, instead of not living at all?

"You know what this means, don't you?" He suddenly spoke up.

"That I am losing you forever?" I offered.

"No!" He guffawed. "It means with every piece I lose, you gain one of your own. It's like you turn into a flowing stream, as I turn into stone."

"I don't want any pieces," I cried. "I can already see well enough. I can see all the beauty I want, and more. In fact, I can see, more than you ever have."

To this, He stayed suspiciously quiet, and I wondered if He was still around. "Are you there?" I called anxiously, and in response He squeezed my arm.

"I want to tell you something," He said. "Before I forget it for good. Walk with me, my dear, we'll play a little game. I think it's finally time today, to decide upon your name."

Excitement duly filled me up, and I hopped up to my feet. "My name, my name!" I exclaimed. "Finally, an identity!"

"You have an identity anyway," He said. "You are way more than a mere name. A name means so little, really. Not having one is no shame."

"If you have to reassure me always," I remarked, "make a compelling argument at least. A name is but everything, you fool. It's a mirror to us, a window to the world. It is the most essential thing of all."

We were in the woods now - I could feel it on my skin. "The souls seem quiet today," I said, and He chose silence once more.

"Give me your hand, darling," He said instead, "and I'll guide you to our goal."

I immediately obliged, and He held my arm for some time, brushing His fingers over it like it was a sacred shrine.

"You're a wonder on earth, my dear," He said. "Now, look up at the sky. Millions of stars greet you today. You, were made to fly. But not like the other birds, no, you'll fly only when it's night. You'll be an eagle of the dark - the first of its kind. Your wings will shimmer with stardust, and your little heart will race. People will look up at you and sigh, as you rekindle the smiles on their face."

I placed my hands on His face, and felt His merry grin.

"Here, I name you," He went on, "'Eagle' - Aderyn."

------------------------------------------------------