•1 - Piano•

Piano: A musical direction meaning "to be performed softly".

She

To me, everything was always dark.

Sometimes during the day, magnetic silence lulled over my bare skin, coupled occasionally with a sort of sound that made me want to dance lightly on my tiptoes. There were other sounds as well. There was one that made me smile, one that made me shiver. There was also one that made me cry.

He said the one that made me cry was the sound of crickets. He said crickets were insects which made noises with their wings. He said insects were usually winged beings with a tiny body. He said some were harmful, but crickets were not. He said crickets were not supposed to make anybody cry.

The one that made me shiver, according to Him, was a wolf's howl. He said wolves were four-legged beings with a lot of fur on them. He said fur was a substance like my hair, but shorter. He said wolves were supposed to make people shiver.

The one that made me want to dance, I had figured out on my own. He had told me once what wind was, and I had eventually concluded that this peppy tune I most often heard was that same wind, whooshing through the trees around. He said He didn't know if it was supposed to make people want to dance. He said it was not possible for one person to know everything, and that He was no exception to that.

But there was one particular thing He was the surest about; it was the sound that made me smile. He said it was the sound of the door closing as He stepped into the house every night. He said a door was a silent protector, the reason I was still safe and alive. About night, He said that it was a time when there was an absence of light.

I believed everything He said. After all, I wouldn't know. To me, everything was night.

There was this other part of the day as well. The part when He actually told me all that I knew about crickets and wolves and fur, and wind and doors and night. But that part was painfully short. The larger section of that particular part was full, yet again, of another, unbelievably beautiful sound.

This sound was the most wonderful of all. This was the sound which showed me the light within the dark, the rainbow within the monochrome. But the weirdest thing of all was that I knew not how to identify a rainbow, nor did I know the general looks of light. When I asked Him for an explanation, He said there were some things in this world that could not be defined. He said that this magical sound was His own creation, and yet it was not. He mentioned a thing called a 'piano'.

I asked Him every day. But He never told me what a piano was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------