•6 - Hell•

Hell: a place regarded as a spiritual realm of evil and suffering, traditionally depicted as a place of perpetual fire beneath the earth where the wicked are punished after death.

He•

The first thing She asked me when I returned was what the colour of blood was.

I looked at her helplessly. How again, would I explain a colour to her?

But as if reading my mind, She said, "Tell me of a thing that causes feelings similar to that of blood, and I'll understand."

After a long silence, I said, "Lust."

"Lust?" She countered, scrunching up Her face. "But how do I know how that is?"

I gently took Her by Her arms then, and wrapped them around me. When She placed her chin on my shoulder, I ran a finger down her lower back. Her chest shivered against mine, and I gently closed my eyes.

"Do you feel it now?" I asked in a heavy whisper.

"Well there is something I do feel," She said, "but I know for sure it's not blood."

"What is it, then?" I inquired, but She just clutched me tighter in response.

"I met someone while you were away," were Her next words. "I don't know who they were, but they said some ugly things. They called me delusional, as if living my way is a sin."

"Ah!" I cried in victory, as the solution finally arrived. "Sin," I said emphatically. "That's what blood is like."

"But everyone has blood in them," She said, "does that mean everyone sins?"

"I'm afraid they do," I replied.

"Everyone? Then what is mine?"

She looked quite distressed, I didn't know what to say. I felt like kicking myself now, for even suggesting such a thing. How could She ever sin, someone like Her? It was almost impossible, the idea too harsh to bear.

"It's alright," She spoke suddenly, sensing my agitation. "Don't fret over this, it's not relevant. If there's sin in everyone, then you have sinned too. That doesn't make me any worse, we're equal, all of us."

But I knew it was reassurance, more for Herself than for me. Because lying awake that same night, the questions slowly poured in. "What did they want, that stranger?" She asked. "Is there some meaning behind this? Am I supposed to take a hint, or should I follow a lead? Were they right about the lie, is it not crows I hear? Do the souls never speak, or the flowers or the trees? Am I allowing the false to swallow me, is that what my sin is?"

It was all I could do to calm Her down, and even then She panted. Lying pressed against my chest, Her breathing was heavy and ragged.

"I'll tell you what," I said. "Sins don't have to be shunned. You might think I've lost my mind, but Hell is not a crazy sight. You're not sent there for punishment, do you think that even makes sense? What do you think makes a Devil, other than sins worse than you can imagine? Why will there be fire, or hot, boiling oil? Why do you think you'll have to step in it, and take a forceful bath? Why do you think the Devil will punish you, for following his favoured path?"

And by the time I was done, Her breaths were a steady affair. And as we lay in bed, both completely still, for the first time, I felt pure.

This was not blood indeed - about that, I was sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------