Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

Just before he could reply the door bell rang. He was early. I turned and ran to the door, forgetting about the conversation that was just had. I pulled open the door, and Nick stood there.

His eyes lit up when he saw me, a smile growing on his face. I went rigid when I felt a presence beside me.

What was he doing?

"Oh wow, nice date. I love how he brought flowers for you" He said sarcastically.

Nick's eyes snapped to Seth, "I didn't have time. I was running late-"

"Oh no, it's fine. I don't need flowers"

"So, Nicole, tell me. How did you manage to turn a straight person like Evie, into a lesbian to go out with you?"

My jaw dropped. Was he serious?!

"H-he's joking Nick"

"You're just like that other blonde idiot" Nick snapped.

Seth just gave him a small smile. Not a nice one, but one that hid a threat underneath it, "I believe I'm the one who owns the girl you're about to bring out. I can allow her not to go at any moment and let me tell you one thing, no other girl would go for you"

"Are you hinting that I'm easy?" I don't know where the words came from. He was being such a d!ck and it didn't feel nice. I was used to him being rude but this was different for some reason.

He turned toward me and just shrugged, "I don't know, am I?"

I held my breath, glaring up at him. We watched each other for a moment and I couldn't get over the surprise of where this was coming from. I pulled out my iPhone and shoved it in his hand, "I'd rather save up for my own one than be 'easy' and take a phone for free as well!"

I went to storm off but he grabbed my arm, tugging me back. His eyes burned into my own, "Take it. Now"

I see.

It was because I was going out right now, if I didn't have a phone he wouldn't be able to find out if I died or not. Hesitantly I glanced to the phone before taking it from him.

"Have a nice night, Evangeline" He smiled. The moment I left the house he shut the door behind me.

What the hell was that all about?

I looked to Nick, the mood totally ruined. He offered me a sympathetic smile, "What was that about saying he wasn't that bad?"

"He's usually not like that" I frowned as we walked toward his car. I flinched slightly, but hid it well when his hand appeared on my back, "Don't worry. I'm here"

I didn't know how to respond so instead I hopped into the car. He began to back out of the drive way before a girl ran across and he broke abruptly.

The girl's eyes widened as she stared at us through the back window. She ran around to my side and I rolled it down.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry I didn't notice you were pulling out"

"It's fine, sorry about almost hitting you" I smiled and she seemed relieved that we weren't annoyed. She apologized once more before running off, her face slightly red as if she had ran a marathon.

"A bit unusual" Nick commented before driving out of the drive and driving off.

"So, movie first then dinner. Sound good?"

"Sounds great" I replied quietly. I was excited, I really was but the scenario that just played back at the house repeated in my mind. What the hell caused him to act so rude? Just when I thought he was beginning to tolerate me, that happens.

I brushed it off, deciding to just enjoy the rest of the night.

"So, I thought maybe 'The Boy' would be a good movie to see"

"Oh... is that the scary one?" I wasn't good with scary stuff. He gave me a side-ways glanced then just nodded his head.

"Yep with the actress Lauren Co- I don't know her name. It's supposed to be super creepy"

"I'm not good with Scary stuff. I get creeped out super easily" I mumbled, slightly ashamed.

He just chuckled, "You can lean into me if you get scared, I got you"

"Okay then" I said. Maybe it wouldn't be that scary.

----------------------------

"I won't be able to sleep tonight" I stumbled out of the screening, "That was so scary! Why did we see it?!"

He just laughed lightly, "I think it was good. The twist at the end especially, it wasn't that scary"

"Yes... yes it was that scary, Nick"

"At least I was there" He winked.

When the first jumpscare happened, without realizing what I was doing I leaned into him, covering my eyes. This caused him to wrap his arm around me, securing me.

Sure it made me feel safe, but it was slightly awkward. I don't really know how to describe it but... it was different. Maybe it was because I was so scared, I honestly thought I was about to die.

"Everything that moves is going to remind me of Brahms" I mumbled, naming the main character in the movie. He just shook his head with another small laugh.

"Don't worry, you'll forget it the moment you're stomach is full"