Chapter Seven

Brandon tapped on the side table as he stared out the window. Theresa would be arriving today, but he had no idea what time. All he could do was sit there and wait anxiously for her arrival. He was still in shock that she had actually agreed to marrying him. He didn't think she would actually agree, but he couldn't deny that he had elated when he had been informed she would be his wife.

Then came the realization that she would be his wife. That beautiful, tiny human princess who looked like she had fallen out of a painting would be married to a giant like him. That almost seemed wrong. And it made him anxious. What if she was afraid of him, now that they were in his territory and not hers? Maybe she wouldn't feel safe here. Maybe she thought he would hurt her.

"Brandon, just relax; she'll be here soon."

His father's voice made him grimace. With narrowed eyes, he turned to glare at the king. He hated it whenever Bennett would tease him like he was a child. It didn't help that he didn't want him either. But Bennett insisted, eager to meet his future daughter-in-law.

"Don't you have other places to be?" he grumbled, looking out the window again.

"Not really. Besides, it couldn't be more important than meeting the woman who stole your heart."

Brandon resisted rolling his eyes. Now he wished he had never mentioned her to him. He kept teasing him about this being love at first sight. While he would admit he was attracted to her, Bennett was making this a much bigger deal than this actually was. He had only felt closest to her because she hadn't made him feel like some sort of terrifying monster.

Bennett wasn't buying it though. Brandon could deny it all he wanted, but Theresa certainly had Brandon hooked.Seeing his son having such a crush on the tiny princess was adorable. He didn't say it aloud though; otherwise, Brandon would probably try to throw him out. He didn't think it would go over well with the princess if she saw Brandon trying to kill someone on the front lawn.

"Don't worry," he assured him. "I won't bother you two for too long. I simply want to meet her."

"I don't want to overwhelm her," he said, his narrowing at Bennett. "You always come on too strongly."

Bennett chuckled, leaning back in his chair as he held up his hands. "I can restrain myself when needed. Have you no faith in me?"

"Considering how many people you've seduced in your life? No, not really."

Bennett laughed. Even he couldn't deny he had a habit of flirting with every pretty thing he came across. He just couldn't help himself when he saw a beautiful person; he just felt compelled to say hello and give a compliment. Besides, he wasn't hurting anyone. Those he flirted with certainly didn't seem to mind, especially considering most of them ended up in his bed.

But he had no intentions to act that way with his future daughter-in-law. He may give a compliment or two, but she was to be his son's wife. She was strictly off limits. Not to mention she was barely eighteen. He preferred company closer to his age anyway.

They soon heard a carriage in the distance. Looking out the window, they watched as a carriage pulled up to the estate's entrance. The king spared a glance at his son, who suddenly looked a thousand times more nervous than he had been a minute ago.

As much as he wanted to tease him, he didn't want to be put into an early grave. So, instead, he rose to his feet and grabbed his cloak. "Well," he said. "Shall we go greet them?"

Brandon took a deep breath and nodded. Trying to hide the shake in his legs, he stood up and slipped on his coat. A million things were rushing through his mind, all of them sending him into a panic. What if this was a mistake? What if she came here and she was terrified of him? What if she ended up hating him?