Equipment: A Curse and a Blessing

Many disabled people have to use aid equipment to help them go through daily activities. Equipment includes leg and arm braces, crutches, canes, walkers, and wheelchairs. The amount of reliance that they have on the equipment. For example, some people are bound to their wheelchair, while other people only have to use wheelchairs to travel long distances.

These equipment have both pros and cons. For example, the walker I used to use was good for long distances because it had a foldable seat attached to it if I needed a break and it also helped me stop because I had constantly something to hold onto. But on the other hand, it took up a lot of space and I started to lean on it instead just using it as a guide, which wasn't good for my posture, stamina, etc. This is also the reason I got rid of it.

Things like wheelchairs and walkers are supposed to help people with disabilities and give them more freedom in their lives, but a lot of the time they can be really restricting. For example, my walker and crowds did not mix well since it basically takes up has me taking up the space of two people due to its bulkiness. It was just a general hindrance and I kept running over people's toes and bumping into their heels and yeah, it was a mess.

Also, they're also hard to fit in narrow spaces, which meant that my walker was often in people's way and that made me feel like I was in people's way. And that isn't a very nice feeling.

One thing that was good about my walker was that it a seat attached to it. This was useful when I needed to sit or take a break and didn't have a chair available, so yay for the foldable seat!

Another thing I loved about my walker was the basket that I could use to carry my belongings from place to place (especially books). Now I just have to use my backpack to carry my rubbish and I really don't understand how people walk around all day with that thing on their back when it most likely contains at least one textbook, three notebooks, a computer, and other stuff you might need. Do you people have superpowers or something?

All jokes aside, that overloaded backpack is probably the reason people have back problems when they get older. Just saying.

Anyway, this part is mostly about equipment with wheels, so I understand that things like hearing aids are extremely helpful to people with hearing disabilities and have their own pros and cons as well, but since I don't wear hearing aids or know much about them, I can't write about them.

Thinking about small equipment like hearing aids has made me realize that even glasses can be considered aid equipment. Think about it; the worse your eyesight, the thicker your glasses. It just shows that everyone is at least slightly disabled, so don't discriminate against people who have the large, noticeable, annoying walkers and wheelchairs, because you probably have a piece of equipment that helps you with your disability,