17.

Red's POV

The week has flown past. Everyday I had the same routine, go to school, go to the diner, come home, practise archery, go to bed.

Today is Friday, and it's the day I've been dreading since my parents death.

My birthday.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be seventeen, happy even. But the idea that my parents won't be here makes my heart feel a little more empty. Nonetheless, I had grandmother. Who by the way should be in my room in,

3...

2...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DARLING RED!"

1...

My grandmother hurdles into my room with some presents wrapped in some cheap wrapping paper.

Oh boy.

"Grandmother, I told you not to get me anything!" I scold at her for wasting her money on something I most likely will never use.

"Oh hush, it's only two gifts, besides, my money isn't going anywhere except for food, which we already have plenty of. And it's my decision whether to spoil you or not," she glares at me. I roll my eyes playfully with a grin playing on my lips.

"Come here," I motion her towards the bed, she lunges into me and I give her a big warm hug.

"Thankyou." I whisper, we pull apart and she hands me the two gifts. One was shaped in a curvy square, like something was folded, the other, was in a small bendy rectangle.

I decided to open that one first, picking it up and tearing open the wrapping paper like a hungry lion with its prey. I unwrap it to find a long brown leather arrow holder, with a long strap and a red line was painted around the entire interior. I gasp at it.

"Oh grandmother thankyou," I smile up at her and she smiles down back at me before motioning to the other wrapped gift.

"Open the other one."

I grab it and once again violently rip it open, my hands feel something soft and a gasped.

"No way," I breathed out. I held it up to my head and looked at it, it was a red cloak with a red hood, long sleeves and a corset designed back, the whole inside of the hood was black and soft to keep me warm.

"Grandmother, I-I...." I couldn't find words, it was beautiful. The cloak was so long that it would definitely drag behind me like a wedding veil. I look up at her with a shocked expression.

"I... I love it" I whisper before launching into her and wrapping my arms around her.

"I thought you could wear it while you were out doing archery?" She says more like a question, I pull back and nod my head before sitting back down on the bed.

"Oh grandmother of course I will, it's beautiful,"I say, she smiles but then takes a sharp breath in,

"Well. You better get ready for school, you've only got about hmmm...." She looks at her imaginary wrist watch.

"20 minutes," she smiles before leaving my room. My eyes widen and I take my phone off charge to check the time and see that I indeed only have 20 minutes left.

Holy Ghost of Mr Krabbs I'm going to be late!

Quickly, I shove myself out of bed, ignoring the dizziness that washes over me and head to the bathroom, not wasting any time taking a nice cold shower, I brush my teeth, wash my face, brush my hair that looked slightly longer and put some non-frizz coconut oil spray in before going back out into my room and choosing my outfit for the day.