Reassurance

(Hephaestus POV)

"Where are you headed?" Aphrodite sat in front of the mirror brushing her hair.

I was busy putting on my baldric and strapping on my sandals. "Just out."

Aphrodite instantly turned around in her chair. "Out? Please tell me its not to deliver something. You can ask the servants to do that for you."

"I would rather deliver it myself. I also want to get some fresh air."

"Oh, well I want to come along-"
"No." Aphrodite looked shocked at my reaction.
"You just stay here." I left the room quickly. I really did not want her to follow me because I was about to follow Hermes.
Whatever they were hiding from me, I was going to find out. It was no coincidence that Hermes also asked for a bow and arrow with that guilty look on his face. I thought about this as I boarded the chariot.
I looked out towards the sky and smelled the dusty air. The piece of magic minerals I put upon his back floated backwards leaving a trail of dust brown dust. As I commenced forward, the chain of dust slowly vanished and just below me I saw Hermes.
I left my chariot a few ways back and started to follow Hermes on foot. The golden bow and arrows shimmered on his back with absolute greatness. Once I thought about it, Aphrodite never did ask me again about the bow and arrows. It was at least a week ago when we last had that conversation; and by knowing my speed on forging things, I would think she would be curious as to why I wasn't done.

Suddenly, Hermes stopped and hid behind a tree. I quickly did the same and waited for the sight I wanted to see.
Soon a miraculous being with wings walked through the greenery. His dark blue eyes stopped wind at the sight, his dark curly hair collapsed around his shoulders and his childlike movements put my heart at ease. His beauty, so closely explained like Narcissus, but dissimilar.
Dissimilar in a way his beauty almost looked like...Aphrodite.

"Eros." Hermes said as he came from behind the trees.
Eros froze and turned around.
"Who are you?" He looked him up and down, most likely looking at his shoes and golden hat.
"I was sent by Zeus to give you these." Hermes took the bow and arrow from around his shoulders and held it out for the boy to take.
"Zeus!" Eros looked around frantically. "Is mother here with you!?"
Hermes seemed to become angry with the persistent Eros.
"She has not visited me for some time." Eros grabbed Hermes by the shoulders.
"Has she said anything about me? Has she called for me?" His smile was bright under the dim lighting as he questioned Hermes.
"Where is she?"
Hermes placed his hand over Eros' and pulled them off. He seemed to be irritated.
"Your mother is busy."
"What? She's been busy for almost 3 decades. You may say that's not long for a god, but I'm not a patient person."
"Listen, she will visit you in time, but not right now." Hermes pushed the bow and arrows into his hands.
"Zeus has graced you with the gift of love, you should know how to use them to their full abilities."
Eros looked down at the golden objects and smiled with heavy passion.
"Zeus knows about me as well? Does that mean all the other gods know about me? Am I going to be invited to the summit?"
"I-I must go." Hermes began to float in the air.
"Wait! Why aren't you answering me?!" Eros was astonished that Hermes left without a word.
"Tsk. How long must I wait?" Eros threw the golden weaponry on the ground. He plopped down beside a tree and pouted like a child.

I stepped from behind the tree and slowly walked up to him. My large foot crunching the leaves caught his attention. He effortlessly stood up and pulled out a dagger.
"Who are you?"

Slowly, I bent over and picked up the bow and arrow.
"I would like it if you would treat these artifacts with care." I uttered while swabbing the dirt off the bows rim.
"What do you care for these wasted remains."
"I care because I made them."
Eros lowered his dagger and tilted his head.
"I was curious to see what all the fuss was about, but it seems Hermes was telling the truth." It seems that I have nothing to worry about. Aphrodite wasn't hiding anything it seems. The god who needed a bow and arrow was real and I'm truly happy. However, her love for Ares was a whole different thing.
"You made these?"
"Yes."
Eros picked up the archery and gazed at its elegance.
"I surely thought Apollo made this, but I don't remember the statue of Apollo looking as you do."
"Of course I'm not Apollo; I'm Hephaestus, god of fire. At least that's what they call me."
"God of fire? Heh, that's actually pretty impressive." Eros smiled and memories of Aphrodite flooded into my mind.
I came to hate that phony smile of hers even more so as I looked into the eyes of Eros.
"Hey, you there?"
"Ah, yes. What?"
"That's what I should be asking you. You came here for a reason did you not?"
"I just came to see if the merchandise was delivered properly."
"Oh..."
"What is your power anyhow." Eros' face brightened up. He stood up and put the bow around his shoulder. Then he clapped for joy and waved his hand for me to follow him. His actions were very childlike. He is a god right? He looks old enough to be an adolescent. So why was he behaving this way I thought as I followed him out the Forrest.

We walked upstream for a while until Eros stopped at the sight of two three humans.
"Make sure they don't see you." Eros pushed me behind a wooden shack.
He then expanded his stunning white wings then levitated into the air.
"This thing is bigger than I thought." Eros declared while he attempted to steady the arrow on the bow.
"Right there." He pulled back the cord and the arrow flung upward. Golden sparks floated around the tip of the shaft and chink! It hit the ground one inch away from my foot.
"Oops! That was really my fault. Heh."

This obnoxious little..."Have you never used a bow and arrow before?"
"Nope. Not in a lifetime. But just wait, I usually get used to doing things the second time around."
I sighed and thought, what am I really here for? I came to see if Hermes and Aphrodite were hiding something, not to socialize with a childish god.
"Alright, I got it; the perfect aim." Eros' eyes changed as he pointed the bow downwards at the boy in the middle.
Swoosh! A bolt of golden light shined around the tip and pang! The young man fell to the ground with an arrow in his heart.
"Eros! What are you doing?!" I was shocked at what Eros had just done.
"Its fine, do not fret. He'll be up in a second." I looked over at the young man as he stood up from the ground. The bright flaxen light disappeared from his chest. As a result, the next thing I see is him grabbing the women to the left and kissed her with all his strength.
"And they lived happily ever after. Heh."
"If I'm right, you made him kiss her?"
"More than that. I made him fall in love with the 1st person he saw. It could have been the other girl, but she was behind him."
"W-what?" What was I witnessing? Is this power even real? Not that I can say anything...
"You're the first god I've ever shown this to. Well, it seems Zeus has seen it through his informant. That's was Hermes earlier was not?"
"Yes, it was." I kept staring at the man. He wouldn't let go of the women who tried to push him away.
"Won't this be a problem for the women?"
Eros turned around and shrugged his shoulders. "I'll just shoot an arrow at her too."
I was about to say something until a floating note landed in front of me and burst open.
It read from Aphrodite.
Hermes must be with her, I thought as I opened the letter.
'Come home quickly.'

I stood up and began to find my way back towards the chariot.
"You have to leave already?"
"Aye." Eros followed me back into the woods. "Come find me if you need more arrows. I'll be glad to make some more for you."
"Oh, wonderful! I'll see you then."
Eros leered at me with that smile I hated so much as he waved farewell.

I pray he will be alright and not misuse his power, for I have done it before. Hopefully, I can come to favor Eros and his childish attitude even if I don't like his smile. Yet, I'm happy that Aphrodite was not hiding anything from me and I will greet her with open arms.