Bow and Arrow

(Aphrodite POV)

Three days felt like an eternity, but Ares was finally here. The heavy air that was between Hephaestus and I finally dissipated from my thoughts when Ares stepped in front of me.
"Where's Hephaestus?"
I smiled at how impatient he was, "He will be out momentarily."
As soon as I said that, Hephaestus appeared behind us. His steady pace carried a heavy atmosphere making me wish I had walked out with him instead of before him. Immediately, I put distance between me and Ares to ease the tension, but that only seemed to make it worse.
The only thing I could do was try not to stare at Ares more than Hephaestus.
"Oh! That looks better than the original!" Ares beamed a bright smile that I tried my best to ignore.
"Aye. I tried my hardest."
"Tried your hardest is a definite yes." I pounced over to Hephaestus and put my arm through his. "He finished it within 3 hours of receiving it."
Hephaestus, who was surprised by my actions, happily squeezed my arm tighter.

"Hand it to me."
"Try not to break it again." Hephaestus swiftly handed the trident to Ares.

"Hahaha, aye! I'll try me best." Ares promptly glanced back like he knew someone was coming.
All of a sudden, Hermes landed in front of us causing all the dust to vanish upward.

"Hermes? What are you doing here?" I asked with my heart beating rapidly. Was he going to spill every lie I've told to the one man I truly love and my husband. This was not good. Not yet, please I pray to Zeus that he doesn't inform them of what I've tried so hard to keep hidden.

(Hephaestus POV)

Why was Aphrodite shivering beside me? As soon as Hermes showed up, her body went cold and I could clearly feel her heart beating rapidly. Seems there is something else going on and not just her feelings for Ares.
Hermes happily spoke to Ares as if nothing had been wrong these past few months.
"Ares, you finally have the trident. Are you going back to Hades?" Ares seemed just as surprised as we were.
"...Aye..."
"Hermes what are you doing here?" Aphrodite said with a cold tone.
"Oh, I need to speak with Hephaestus... alone."
Aphrodite stiffened making me more curious with what he had to say.
"Yes, lets go inside."

(Aphrodite POV)

Hermes was really starting to become a nuisance. Its all because of Zeus and his corrupt ways that my sweet little brother has become an underhanded fool.
He smirked at me when he followed behind Hephaestus.
I swear on all the gods that he better not tell Hephaestus!! My pleading glare was enough to startle Ares.

"What's with that face?"
"Eh? Oh...nothing." I tried to calm my worry and smiled at my beloved.
"It seems Hermes isn't angry with me any longer."
"Yes, it seems so." Suddenly, I noticed Ares was wearing battle gear.
"Are you in another dispute?"
"It matters not."
"Oh, I see. You're speaking formally now to avoid the topic."
"...Nothing like that...just don't worry about it okay?"
"Haha. I'll try not too."
I have more serious things to worry about.

(Hephaestus POV)

Hermes followed me into the temple.
I was highly curious as to what he wanted since Aphrodite seemed startled by his presence.
"What's wrong? You seem to be happier today then lately."
"Aye, I'm done being mad at Ares."

"Mind if I ask why you were mad at him?"

"It was nothing important." Hermes glanced to the side then looked back at me. "Anyway, I need your assistance in making something."

"What?" I replied while sitting down on the sofa.

"I would like you to make a bow and arrow."
"...What...?"
"A bow and arrow...whats wrong? Did I say something strange?"
"No it's just that, Aphrodite asked me the same thing three days ago."
Hermes paused then sat down in front of me.
"Oh...well what was her reason?"
"She wanted to use it for her own entertainment."

(Hermes POV)

"Mm... I see."
I didn't know that father already asked her to do this task. No wonder he never told me to ask Hephaestus directly. Do I tell Hephaestus about Eros or do I let him find out himself.

I took a deep breath and stood up.
"Do you want to know my reason?"
"Sure, what is it?"

"There's another god out there who has yet to hone his powers. With the use of the bow an arrow, he can...bring about love and hate."
"Interesting at the least. What is his name?"
I hesitated to answer the question. Was I really going to betray Aphrodite out of envy. Its not like she knew I was in love with her to begin with. And what does it matter now? She already has Hephaestus. If I do say anything, she will come to hate me for god knows how long.

"...I don't know. Father has only told me vaguely about him."
Hephaestus furrowed his brows at my lies, but seemed to take the bait.

"Oh, I see..."

Hephaestus sighed a bit before speaking again. "It will be ready in a day or so."

"Thanks again, Hephaestus." I stood up and walked out the door slowly. Hopefully I convinced Hephaestus enough to keep him off our backs. Ugh, why did father have to tell me about this child. I would have been better off living life like an unknowing fool. For the sake of my own feelings, can't one thing Zeus says be good. I thought this as I left the temple and was faced with the afternoon sky.
There I saw Aphrodite laughing to her hearts content while staring into the eyes of my brother. I took a deep breath and forced a smile.

"Oh Hermes, you're done." Ares spoke.

"Yes."

"What did you want?" Aphrodite looked at me. Her eyes were filled with anger and worry.

"N-nothing important." I avoided her and began to float.

"Hold up, I'm going home with you. Goodbye Aphrodite."

"Farewell." Aphrodite, on the verge of distress, smiled. A smile that was only meant for Ares. And I hated it.

On the outside I may seem like a scared useless person, but I have also sinned as much as every other god. By my fathers order, I've done many things that I regret and not once have I ever fought back. A heavy burden has always been nested at my side, but instead of being mad, I just smile and bear it. Yet, for once, I actually thought I had something to myself but to find out she's known my closest brother and has a child makes me angry. As much as I wanted to tell the world about this to appease my anger, I once again keep it hidden.