Chapter Two

After I leave Joseph's house, I head home. When I get in, my mom is waiting for me with that awful look on her face as if she hates me. "Why are you home so late?" She asks. "I stopped at Joseph's house to tell him some things. I glanced at her neck, only to notice that she had on the gold cross that he got me last Christmas. "Ma, that's my necklace." I say. "It's mine now." She smirks. "And what did you to tell Joseph that you couldn't tell me? Huh?" I swallow my fear. My mom can be very abusive and I don't want her to hurt the baby. She gets angry easily "I uh, I went to tell him about me. I haven't been feeling to well." I try my best not to lie. I read in my Bible all the time about how uncool it is to lie. God don't like liars. Before she can say anything, I get a call. "Rubie." I say. "I'll be back." I answer the phone. "Hello?" "Oh Violet! Iv'e been so worried about you! What did the doctors say?!" I go up to my room for more privacy. "Well, it appears, that I am 3 weeks pregnant. After they told me that, this lady asked me a couple of questions. I have another appointment next week." Rubie is silent. I know what she is thinking. 'Have you told your mom' And then she does ask it. "No, not until I'm three months, me and Joseph agreed on that."  I say. "Oh Violet, what if your mother tries to hurt you before then, or even after. What if it doesn't matter to her if you are?" I sigh. "I don't know Rubie, I don't." She sighs. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit you, lately." she says. "Derek broke his arm, and my awful dad won't help him." "It's cool, but I have to go Rubie. My mom is probably downstairs waiting for me. I don't need trouble." She sighs again. "Okay, bye Vile. I'll be praying for you." I smile "Thanks, bye."  I hang up and walk down the stairs. To my luck, my mom has fallen asleep in that old chair. I smile and walk back up quietly to my room and fall asleep. The next morning, I hear glass breaking and yelling. "VIOLET!" I shiver, then down the stairs. "Yes, ma?" She curses under her breath an then asks. "Why didn't you carry me up to my room last night, huh!?"  I swallow. "I'm sorry, mom. I was so tired. I felt weak and uh, OW!" I yell when my mom, smacks me. "Mommy I'm sorry!" She looks at me and smirks. That darn, ugly smirk that I hate. "Carry me up there now, and while you are at it, fix me some coffee." I carry her up stairs and lay her down in her bed, get her coffee, and get out of the house ASAP. On my way to school, I spot Joseph and catch up to him. "Oh, Hi V." He says, looking uncomfortable. "Um, hi. Everything OK?" He nods. "Yeah, sure! I just need my space right now, OK?" He asks walking faster. My stomach twists and I have an urge to cry, but don't. "Okay." I say and walk the other way to school. When I get to school, I go to English class first. "This is gonna be a long 9 months." I think to myself.