16). Riddles & Plans

Abel's P.O.V

-a couple days later-

"Do you wanna hear a riddle?" Delani asks eating gummy bears.

"Sure why not."

"Okay, make sure you listen to every word I say." She says propping her elbows on the couch and resting her chin on her hands.

I roll my eyes, like I don't already listen to everything she says to me with her angelic voice.

"Okay, so there are two brothers. The oldest one is four and the youngest is half his age. How old is the youngest brother?"

"The older brother is four?" I ask.

She nods.

"And the younger brother is half his age?"

She rolls her eyes, "Yes."

I bring my hand to my chin and think about this. It's a riddle so that means that it's a trick question.

"The doesn't take that much thinking, Abel."

"Sh," I tell her. "Half of four is two. So he's two!"

"Good. Took you long enough."

"What kind of riddle is that?" I scoff.

"That was only the first part. Okay so since he's two. How old is the younger brother when the older brother is one hundred?"

"Woah. Slow down. You went way to fast, my mind didn't process it repeat what you said."

She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Please," I say with a cheesy smile.

"When the younger brother is two which is half of what the older brother is--"

"Which is four."

She glares at me, "Yes. Then how old is he younger brother when he's one hundred?"

"Oh, pft that's easy. He's fifty."

I can't believe it took me that long just to answer this simple riddle.

She looks at me and burst into laughter.

"You're so dumb, Abel. And you're suppose to be a math teacher. Math teacher my ass." She covers her mouth with her hand to contain her giggles.

"It's not fifty? How?"

"He's ninety-eight you idiot they're only two years apart."

"But you said he's half the older brothers age."

"Yeah but that was to confuse you. Oh lord go back to kindergarten Abel." She wipes tears from the corners of her eyes.

"Wow. Whatever that was a stupid riddle anyways."

"You're just mad that you weren't intelligent enough to get the correct answer." She sticks her tongue out at me and sits up.

She criss crosses her legs and looks at me. I look right back at her and it turns into a staring contest.

Our gaze intensifies as I see how much she's struggling to not blink.

"I can do this all day," I say shrugging.

"Me too."