Chapter 8- The Accident

Ryder's POV:
In the morning, I had woken up before Ellie and made breakfast for the two of us. We rarely saw her mom anymore. She was always in her room sobbing and sulking, or in town at the library.

"You woke up before me?!" She stammered as astonishment washed over her face. I nodded and laughed at her expression. "I taught you so well!" She sniffled, wiping away a fake tear. We dug into our breakfast and devoured it all.

Quite some time had passed since I got the job.

"So do you think I can ride Vincenzo today???" I pleaded with puppy dog eyes. "Ryder, he hates you and you'll probably die!" Ellie giggled.

"No I won't! I can do it Ellie! Please?" I begged. "We have to go into town and get some more sawdust for the stalls." She informed me, totally avoiding my question.

We got into the pick up and she drove us into town. When we arrived, we walked into the general store and bought 8 pounds of sawdust. We put all the bags into the truck and drove back.

I helped her spread all of the sawdust evenly in all of the stalls. It was a layer of straw and then sawdust in each of the stalls. We didn't do anything to the empty stalls.

After we finished, we were both exhausted. We were about to go in the house for the day, but I stopped her.

"Please Ellie, this means a lot to me. Can I please ride Vincenzo." I said seriously. "I don't want you getting hurt Ryder." She sighed. "I can do this Ellie!" I raised my voice.

"Fine. But if you get hurt, you can't blame me." She sighed. She put the saddle on Vincenzo. I got on and immediately tensed up. Vincenzo was a very tall horse and I hadn't noticed it till now. I started trotting out of the barn and towards the field.

"Haha hey! This is pretty easy! Told you I could do it!" I exclaimed. Ellie was back at the barn watching me graze around the field. Then something happened.

Vincenzo started cantering away from where I was telling him to go. Then he completely reared and bucked. I went flying and I hit the grass. Everything went black.

Ellie's POV:
I jumped onto West bareback and rode to Ryder. I slung him over the back of West and rode back to the barn. I put west in his stall and carried Ryder inside the house, which wasn't easy.

I put him on the couch and he laid there, motionless. My mom was nowhere to be found, so she must've been in town. I drove the pickup in town and picked up the doctor, bringing him back to my house where Ryder was. All I could think about was how Ryder had begged me and I was selfish and careless and let him ride Vincenzo.

As I put Vincenzo back in his stall, I thought to myself, "it's all my fault."