Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I was running late. I quickly showered in the girl's locker room and got dressed but I knew I was going to be late for class. I was basically running down the corridors trying desperately to find a classroom that I hadn't been to yet. Unfortunately for me I didn't have anybody in my Maths class that I knew. I hurried around a corner and was suddenly grabbed from behind. The next thing I knew I was being slammed into the wall of lockers on one side of the hallway.

"Oooff," I made an involuntary sound as my back hit the lockers.

Carter was standing right in front of me. In fact he was so close I swear I could feel him breathing down on me and it made me instantly uncomfortable. He looked angry, but at what I had no idea. The initial shock wore off and I got angry in response.

"What the hell is your problem? You've been shooting me dirty looks ever since I started school here and today in soccer you kept running into me! It's just a game!" I whispered furiously as I stepped away from the lockers.

Carter stepped even closer to me making me back up again, "You really have no idea do you? This isn't about the game! It's about something a lot more important than that."

"What the hell are you talking about? If you have something to say then man up and say it!" I retorted.

He sneered at me and pushed me back into the locker, "You should watch yourself kid because if you're not careful you're going to lose things you didn't even know you had."

I was a little confused at that. He shoved me one last time before walking away. As he went I'm sure I heard him mutter "Stupid little bitch". I had to stand there for a few more minutes to get myself together before I could resume looking for my classroom. Thankfully the teacher didn't mind me being late and let me in. The whole lesson I kept puzzling over what Carter had said to me.

Carter didn't bother me after that, except for the occasional death stare.  I eventually got into a rhythm of getting up and going to school. With every passing day I grew closer to Josh. He explained to me what the Halloween Dance actually was and it sounded like fun. Everyone had to dress up in a costume and then it was basically a normal school dance which was actually on the 31st of October. I found myself looking forward to it and agreed to go shopping with Courtney and Carly to look for costumes.

I had no idea on what I was going to dress up as.  I spoke on Webcam to my friends in Australia as often as I could. They threw out a couple of costume suggestions, but none of them really seemed to stick with me. I even took a chance and asked my parents for their opinions. Our relationship was still extremely strained but my mum had a good suggestion. I eventually ended up hoping I would just see a costume I liked when I was out shopping.

Two weeks out from the dance, in my second week of school, I was just about to head to Chemistry when Josh waved me over.

"Hey, how was your weekend?" he asked wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me close.

I laughed and rested my head on his shoulder, "Relatively quiet. I was online talking to my friends back in Australia. Otherwise I was doing my homework."

He laughed in return, "Oh, I all most forgot. We're supposed to go to the office because Miss Harlow, the Principal, wants to see us."

My eyes widened in shock, "Why?"

Josh took my hand and started to steer me towards the office, "Don't worry we're not in trouble."

I hung onto his hand and let him lead me to the office. The lady in the office told us to go straight in because Miss Harlow was waiting. We walked in side by side and I suddenly got nervous. Why did the principal want to see us? I spoke to her once on my first day at school but why did she want to talk to us now? There were two seats in front of her very large desk. I sat in the one furthest from the door and Josh sat in the other.

"Good, the two of you made it," she chirped brightly.

Not that we had much of a choice.

"Now Jezebel, how are you settling in?" she asked politely.

I faked a smile because I could tell there was something up, "Quite well actually, everybody is so nice."

She smiled back, "Wonderful. You're probably wondering why you're here and I know this is going to sound odd."

I frowned slightly and turned to Josh but he was no help because he was studiously looking the other way, his expression unreadable.

"Jezebel, how do you think you get into this school? I mean how do you think you got into this exclusive private school?" she asked all smiles gone.

I was becoming more confused by the second and truthfully a little worried, "Uum, money?"

"Close. That's how the normal population of this school get in," Miss Harlow corrected.

"I'm sorry, did you just say normal? Is this a trick question type of thing?" I asked really not getting the joke.

I was looking back and forth between Josh and the principal and neither were giving me any hints.

"The other way that you can get into this school is through your heritage," she continued.

"I thought that this was a fairly new school?" I asked still not getting it.

"Not as in your parents went to this school, but more your blood line," she added.

I was seriously not sure what was going on so I decided to nod and smile, "Ok then. In that case, I know how I got into this school because we're not American."

Miss Harlow sighed in frustration and finally spoke to Josh, "Shall I or do you want to do it?"

Josh looked stony faced, "No one was allowed to before so why should that change now?"

She turned back to me, "Jezebel, when I said your heritage I meant whether you're not human. 75 per cent of the student body are not human and neither are you."

My mouth twitched at the corner trying to turn up in a smile, but I held it back unsure if this was a joke. I turned to Josh but he was still avoiding my confused gaze. I turned back to the principal who was looking at me expectantly. I was beginning to think this wasn't a joke. I opened my mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. My mind was a blank.