CelindaLabrousse - "It's Complicated: A Zombie Romance"

Name of Author: Celinda Labrousse

Title of Book: It's Complicated: A Zombie Romance Novel

Favorite Authors: Short list: Garth Nix, Tamora Pierce, Meg Cabot. That stated, I really can't leave out Vivian Vande Velde and the late great Diana Wynne Jones.

Bio:

Celinda Labrousse is a lover of books, which is why she became a librarian. Why not get paid to read, right? However, her focus has changed from reading books to writing them. When not busy creating new worlds in her head, she spends her time with her husband raising their young daughter.

Can you explain what your book is all about?

Mae's life is falling apart. Her brother went missing at a haunted house party, her mother couldn't care less, and the guy she's been crushing on for four years just might be a zombie.

Who is your target audience - and why?

Young adults – ranging from high school to college – are my main audience. I love this sub-genre of books, and I have always been encouraged to write what I read.

What is 'paranormal' about your story? 

It's a zombie story set in a haunted house.

Does it contain other genre elements, if so which ones - and why?

I started out writing a romance novel, and there are a number of romance elements in the plot line. I originally placed this in Sci-Fi because of the advanced technology involved, but found Paranormal to be a much better fit given the zombies and ghost aspects that evolved out of the pages. On that note, I've been told this book has a Horror feel, but I really wouldn't know about that. Doctor Who and Frankenstein are as horror as I get, and I consider both to be Sci-Fi.

Tell us about your writing process - how do you get from story idea to a Wattpad published story?

Three things are vital to my writing process: community, support, and a good editor.

I personally edit other people's work, but I can't ever seem to see the mistakes in mine. A writer's words flow from their heart, making it hard to see problem areas. That's why it is crucial to have a person that knows your heart looking over your writing. This way, when you blow up at them (and you will) for "correcting" your work, they will get over it. They know you love them, and vice versa. Just don't expect them to like or praise what you write. They usually won't, and you aren't writing it for them anyways. Second, find a person that does LOVE what you write. I call this my support network. This can be a friend or random strangers you trust. When I get into a writer's block, having that person who wants the next chapter, loves the book, and so on keeps me writing. I've met a few people like this, and I try to be this for others because I know how powerful it is in my life. The other thing that keeps the words flowing is community. Two words: Wattpad and NaNoWriMo. The first book I ever finished was during NaNo. The community pushing me to finish spurned me on when no one else in my life cared. I was able to write my first novel. Having that win under my belt kept me from giving up on other writing projects through the years. Communities like Wattpad and NaNoWriMo provide courage, success stories of others, and help when you need it.

Did you encounter any challenges when writing, if so - how did you overcome them?

The biggest challenge when writing It's Complicated was the House. It developed a personality of it's own. I was so relieved to get out of it and more hesitant than my main character to go back in. It's a really dark place. I don't like scary places, especially those filled with zombies. You'll never catch me going into a haunted house! Eventually I sucked it up and dove back in. That's where my character wanted to go, so in we went.

You often hear that 'writing well' is the baseline for success. What does that mean for you?

Get it on paper first. Then edit it, edit some more, give it to someone else to edit, and edit again. Then let it out into the world. Don't expect perfection right away; first drafts always have errors. The goal is to get what's in your head on paper. Once you accomplish that, take the time to work on it. Then have the courage to share it. How can the world know what you've done if you never share it?

One final question, this being the Paranormal genre: Have you ever had a paranormal experience?

Do Hitler ghosts count? When I was a kid my dad was stationed in Berlin. We used to swim at one of Hitler's Olympic training pools. There was this story about a secret window at the bottom of the pool where Hitler would watch the dive team practice. When they lost, he ordered them to dive in one last time. He posted guards all around the pool to smash their fingers if they tried to get out. From that window he watched them all drown. I don't know if the story is real or not, but we spent hours looking for that window. One time I thought I heard the wails of the dead divers bouncing off the walls, waiting for us unsuspecting swimmers to join them in their watery grave.