YvetteRussell - "The Psychic Next Door"

Name of Author: Yvette Russell
Title of Book: The Psychic Next Door
Favorite Authors: Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Mary Shelley, JK Rowling, Rainbow Rowell

Bio: I live in Vancouver, Canada, and I'm a designer by day, writer by... whenever my busy life allows. When I'm not working on something-I always have a million side projects on the go, from a graphic novel to creating my own app-I am usually reading, watching cartoons, or playing with makeup. But don't let my cutesy appearance fool you! I also have a deep love for the dark and disturbing. My boyfriend often says that I'm a pit of darkness wrapped up in pink cotton candy.

The Psychic Next Door
https://www.wattpad.com/story/31760-the-psychic-next-door

Can you explain what your book is all about?
After a devastating breakup, Rachel Vaughn needs a fresh start. She moves into a new apartment and, despite having some seriously weird neighbours, she quickly settles in. But soon after, strange things start happening. Things start to go missing, she hears voices at night, and once... once Rachel swore she heard a growl.

Though her friend Polly fears Rachel may be losing her mind, it soon becomes clear that Rachel is being hunted by something... unexplainable. And she can't help but think it has something to do with Luc, the mysterious guy who lives next door.

Who is your target audience-and why?
The book is 'new adult' so, late teens and early twenties. After writing a YA book, I wanted to write some characters that had more autonomy in their lives, who didn't have to constantly check in with their parents.

What is 'paranormal' about your story?
The mysterious presence that is stalking Rachel, as well as the titular psychic next door.

Does it contain other genre elements, if so which ones-and why?
It's definitely a thriller, and a bit of a mystery. Personally, I think those make the best paranormal stories... The ones where you don't know what exactly is happening until the very end.

Tell us about your writing process: how do you get from story idea to a Wattpad published story?
I barf it onto the page and hope for the best! Haha! It seems so simple and straightforward, but it's not. Sometimes I can write 2000-4000 words in one session, sometimes I can only barely eke out 500. But the most important thing is I'm no longer afraid of the blank page. If I get something out there, then I at least I have something to work with. You can't work with nothing!

Did you encounter any challenges when writing, if so-how did you overcome them?
I'm an artist as well (I actually went to school for editorial illustration) so I've applied a lot of the techniques that I use for art to my writing. For example: there's no such thing as art/writer's block... it's just getting comfortable with producing work at different levels. Sometimes it's just not going to be easy to write, or draw, but if you want to make something you have to do it. Sit down and spit it out. You can't produce perfect work in your first go-it takes multiple tries, multiple drafts, multiple sketches.

You often hear that 'writing well' is the baseline for success. What does that mean for you?
Writing more. The more you do something, the better you get at it. Even if you complete a story, and you still see areas for improvement, there's a point you need to let it go. You need to just move on.