Subterfuge

So, so close! I will be working on the next chapter tonight, but we'll see how far I get! I decided that since I'm not trying to make it forty chapters exactly now I'm just gonna take my time and get it out exactly the way I want it. (Which I'm really glad I'm doing cause it just wouldn't have been right if I hadn't.)

Just so you know, most of this chapter kinda takes place simultaneously with some of the events described last chapter and it starts at about 'fifty hours to go'. To save you the trouble of looking back, remember how at 50 hours left Donnie and Mikey weren't in the lair?

Enjoy!

——————————

"I don't know about this, Leonardo. Going behind the others' backs...it's risky."

Leo's face was stern and unchanging. "I know. But involving them would only increase the risk and raise the chances of failure. If we can find out for certain her connection to the Foot and what their reaction might be it could double our chances of success. That's why you have to do it. Please. I've already given Slash the plan."

"And yet you waited to tell us about it until the last minute? Great job with the procrastination, Leo." Don remarked with annoyance, still very unhappy about this whole thing.

There were little stars in Mikey's eyes as he attached himself to his oldest brother's side like a barnacle. "Leo procrastinating..." He said with youthful amazement and wiped fake tears of joy from his eyes. "I never thought I'd see the day."

Leo growled and little and rolled his eyes, shoving his youngest brother off. "I couldn't tell you any earlier. I didn't want the others to have a chance to find out."

"I won't do this, Leo. Do you have any idea what could happen if it goes wrong?!"

"This coming from the brother who went back into a human research center alone to download files!" Leo retorted angrily. He sighed and rubbed his temples, as a splitting migraine began to set in. "Look, guys, please. You have to do this. If you don't we'll be walking in blind!"

"Enough with that crap, Leo! Why do you really want us to do this?" Don asked, raising his voice slightly.

"For Master Splinter." The oldest whispered. His brothers' posture immediately softened. "He shouldn't be involved in this unless he absolutely has to. If we know or at least have an idea of Shredder's plan we might not need Sensei's help. Having Mona there knowing that scientist wants to kill her is risky enough. Shredder's henchmen will all target Sensei and that mutant-hating woman will too. I don't want to put Splinter in danger unless there is absolutely no other alternative. I'm asking you to do this for Sensei, for our father. Please." He put a hand on each of their shoulders. They looked at him.

Mikey had on his serious face. "With you all the way bro. Besides, I am a great actor." He said with a flourish.

Donnie shook his head at Mikey's antics. "I'll make sure his big mouth doesn't blurt out anything it isn't supposed to."

Mikey pouted and stuck his tongue out at the brainiac while Leo smiled.

"Thank you. Go to the Mighty Mutanimals' lair. They'll be on lookout in case something goes wrong."

His brothers' faces stiffened a little. Mikey looked frightened. "You're not coming with us?"

Leo shook his head. "I can't. If all three of us are gone, Raph and the others will get suspicious. It's up to you two."

They exchanged sideways glances, then looked back at him and nodded determinately. He returned the nod.

"Then get going." Leo ordered, turning his back to them. When he glanced back over his shoulder, they were gone. His strong posture melted a little. "Be careful."