Confidence and Confidants

The next day Mona Lisa woke up early and found Mikey in the kitchen cooking breakfast. As soon as the orange masked turtle saw her he broke out into a smile. "Hey Mona! You're up early this morning."

Mona shrugged and smiled. Her soft brown eyes glanced at the stove behind Mikey, where some eggs were sizzling away in the pan. Michelangelo followed her gaze, looked down at the omelet-to-be, and exclaimed: "Oh no my baby's burning!"

He threw a slew of pepperoni and breadcrumbs into the pan before taking a spatula and folding the omelet in half.

The lizard mutant watched with fascination as Mikey lifted the omelet out of the pan and lay it delicately on a plate.

Mikey whooped, threw his fist in the air and squealed, "Yeah, victory!"

Mona Lisa giggled and rolled her eyes in mock-exhasperation.

"You wanna try it?" Mikey asked.

She deflated a little. Her hands moved slowly as she gestured to him.

Mikey quickly figured out what she was trying to say. He'd always been good at charades.

"Aw, come on girl, just because you've never done it before doesn't mean you can't do it. Come on, I'll teach ya." Mikey pulled her over to the stove and put an arm around her shoulders. The youngest turtle poured some of his egg mixture into the pan from a medium-sized green mixing bowl. Mikey wrapped his arms around her from behind so that he could guide her hands.

With the youngest turtle's guidance the two of them made a rather haphazard omelet. Mona gave Mikey a crestfallen glance. The orange masked turtle patted her shoulder. "It's not your fault Mona. Making perfect omelets takes a lot of practice."

Mona Lisa flashed a small, grateful smile in Mikey's direction and he chuckled.

"Anytime dudette."

The lizard mutant pointed emphatically back at the pan and Michelangelo smiled. "Why don't you try it this time? I'm gonna cut up some carrots."

Dark brown eyes lit up at the mention of carrots, but she quickly turned her attention back to the task that had been given to her. She poured some mixture into the pan and did just as Mikey had showed her. However, as she tried to fold it over it started to fall apart. She reached out to try and fix it, but her hand touched the pan. Mona yanked her hand away rapidly. Tears surfaced in her eyes and her bottom lip pushed out.

Michelangelo shot forward and hugged her gently. "Oh my goodness, are you okay?" The youngest reached out for her hand but Mona pulled it away. "C'mon, let me see. I know it hurts, but I'm trying to help ya girl."

Mona Lisa sniffed the tears away and held out her hand to the orange masked turtle.

Michelangelo gripped her long, thin fingers softly as he examined the burn. "Ouch. That's a pretty bad burn. Does it hurt?" Tears welled up in Mona's eyes as she nodded. Mikey frowned. "Okay, I know what to do. Hang on," Mikey set her hand down gently, focusing on the issue at hand. Hahaha, at hand. Get it? Mikey shook those thoughts away. No, no Mikey this is no time for bad jokes. He told himself as he rummaged through the cupboards searching for a short, brightly-colored spray bottle. They youngest let out a strange cross between a crow and a cackle as his fingers fell upon the object in question.

But as soon as Michelangelo brought it up to Mona Lisa's hand, she yanked it away fearfully. Mikey frowned sternly and grabbed her hand, forcing her to hold still. "Mona! Mona, girl, calm down! It's just burn spray! It'll make it feel better, I promise!"

Mona started shaking and she struggled, trying to pull away. Mikey worked fast and sprayed the burn before letting go of her hand. The lizard mutant stumbled backwards as all resistance suddenly disappeared. She closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable impact...that never came. Strong emerald green arms caught her and swept her back up onto her feet.