Bringing him back

Start from the beginning

"Shut up!" Jai gritted.

I sat down beside Samson and then Jai sits down next to me. "What happened?" I asked.

"Samson, don't!" Daniel warned, giving him a threatening look.

"No, tell us! You guys opened the topic now finished it off by telling us what happened. Tell us why Jai is suddenly afraid of the water." I dared.

"I don't-" Samson began. I see the fear in his eyes once he looks back at Daniel again.

"Tell us, damn it!" I snapped, yelling at all of them. I didn't mean to be rude and mean. I just wanted to now more about Jai Art. I don't like it when people keep secrets.

"Kayla was Jacob's first love." Daniel starts then Jai stiffened by my side. "Kayla almost died, drowning. Jacob struggled to get to her. He thought he was too late. Ever since the incident, Kayla hated the ocean or a pool. She feared the waters and so did Jacob."

Jacob's first love. I've asked for it and I get it. I didn't like hearing it. I hated the thought of Jai and another girl

"What happened to Kayla?" I asked. I needed to know what he did to her, what happened to them.

"She..... later died from cancer a year ago." Daniel said.

"I'm sorry for your lost, Jai." I mumbled as I looked at him. It looked like he was lost. It was quiet for all of us. Even my loud friends stayed quiet.

"But, come on. Join us, Jacob. It will be fun and we promise you that no one will drown." Samantha later starts. I looked at her, giving her the eye. She looks back at me with a furrowed eyebrows. She doesn't get it. And I thought we could read each other's mind.

After, everyone else went to take a dip or rented a kayak. I was getting bored, trying to keep Jai company. So, I got up without saying a word and went to the activities booth.

Jai caught up with me. "Where are you going?"

I was still walking. "To have fun, Jai. I want to enjoy the beach and join the others."

"But-"

"I didn't come here to accompany someone who is afraid of the water. I came here to have fun with my friends." I bluntly said. He stops walking and I walked passed him.

I was getting on the jet ski that I had rented when I see someone on my side. I turn around to see another jet ski next to mine. Jai hops on it as he was wearing a beach short, I'm guessing which he just bought from the beach shop, and no shirt.

He grins at me. I frown at him. "I thought you are afraid of the water, huh." I folded my arms.

"I am, but I didn't say I'm afraid of jet skis." He said before starting the engine and taking off. "Catch me if you can, Nile River." He challenged.

Challenged accepted.

After our time was up with the jet ski, he chased me back to where the others were. I stopped my tracks as I got closer to them but next thing I know, I was tackled to the ground. "I got you!" He mumbled into my ears. We were rolling around the beach sand as he tried to tickle my sides then we stopped when realized that our friends were watching us. We stood up and walked to them awkwardly.

"I can't believe you got him to finally touch these waters, Nadine. You're a great worker." Tyson complimented.

"Now, I would be impress if you get him to ride a boat." Daniel stated. "Not even Kayla can get him to ride it." Then that whole awkward silence starts again.

After a while, one of the girls broke the silence, suggesting that we go to an ice cream shop.

"You want to ride there with me, babe?" I jumped at the sudden air that was blew against my neck. I hitched a breath when I realized that Jai was standing behind me and his head only an inch close to mine.

"Babe?" I questioned, turning my head to look at him, but it was too late when I relaxed it was a bad idea. My lips accidentally touched the side of his lips. I froze until he spoke.

"Yes, baby. You're mine." He whispered. Our heads stayed in place. He talked like it was nothing to him.

"I'm not yours, Jai. You're just courting and as far as I know, it's not more than a relationship." I said back to him but my voice was soft. I was trying to stay composed. 

"As far as I know, I don't care. A courtship is also more than a friendship." He said. He winks before grabbing unto my wrist. He pulls me towards the parking lot. The others were already gone. We were the only two left behind at the beach.

Then I see  the vehicle we were headed to. It was an all black Honda motorcycle. It was the same one from the one he used to ride to school. "I can't believe you still have this thing." I gasped.

"It's been sitting in my grandma's garage for two years collecting dust. I couldn't even believe myself that it still works." He grins then hands a helmet to me.

"Looks like you were expecting me to ride with you, huh?" I asked with a grinning face. "I like what you did with this pink helmet, too bad I don't like pink." I added then his expression changes.

He puts his black helmet on and hops on the motorcycle. Then, I realized that I have never ridden a motorcycle before. I may ride a scooter but it's very different with a motorcycle. It's more dangerous.

"Well, are you going to hop on or are you just going to stare at me all day again?" He smirks. I blinked a couple of times before hopping on the back.

As I got on, he was chuckling. He starts the engine of the motorcycle as it roared louder than the fear I am feeling inside right now. Jai continued to laugh as we remain at the same spot, not going anytime soon.

"You do know I'm not going unless you hold on right?" He finally said. I realized. I looked for something to hold on from the back of me but there was nothing. All I felt was the break lights and license plate.

"Where do I hold on?" I asked nervously, I didn't know why I was feeling this way. I guess it's because I've never been this close to Jai Art before. We may have kissed before but that was when I didn't have feelings for him. Now that I realized that I like him, every time he is near me, I get tensed.

"You, silly girl." He chuckles. He lets his hands looked for my hands then he pulled it and engulf it around his torso "Hold on tight, Niles." He said and so I did. I held unto him tightly. I could feel the motorcycle was starting to accelerate. We take off and I was pushed back a bit at the sudden take. So I held unto him tighter like my life depended on him which is technically true. If I let go of him, I'll fall off then die.

I rested my head on his back, enjoying the feeling. I loved how the wind hit my face and how it blows my hair back. I love the feeling of holding unto him without having to give an excuse. I love the feeling of knowing that he is here. He is back.

He changed. He's different but I still have hope that the old Jai was still in there. I could see it. He just need to remember how he used to have fun, when he didn't care what the consequences were, when he took risks. He just need to remember who he was before. I know it may seem like I'm changing him but I'm not. I'm just refreshing his memories. Because by the time he takes on the real world, with college and his career, he won't be able to find time to have fun again. Life is too short. Do what makes you happy.