Chapter 24 - Families (Easter Special)

Start from the beginning

The two of you sat in a small patch of grass. A large group of unpainted eggs ran up to you. Bunny took his leather quiver off of his back and let some paintbrushes fall out. He handed one to you.

"This of a color, and you'll be able to paint with it," he said.

You stared at the river of paint for a moment, then decided to paint the egg green. As soon as your brush touched the white surface of the egg in your hand, the color spread onto the shell. You hardly had to paint three strokes and the egg was completely covered. The green had a slight metallic tint to it. You set the egg on the ground and it rolled away, hurrying after its friends.

"What's the point of this?" you asked, picking another one up. Purple.

"It's my job," he said. "Plus, I like doing it. I always paint some of them as special eggs."

"Who do they go to?"

"Kids who need them."

Your heart dropped. You tried to be unselfish and understanding, but what about you for all those years? The words fell off your tough before you realized it: "I was never one of those."

Bunny dropped his egg. His eyes bore into the grass. Although you felt slightly left out, you instantly regretted saying anything. You didn't want to make him feel bad.

"(Y/N)," he whispered, "You have to understand. It's not my fault."

You just stared at him, confused.

"Your dad..." His eyes darted to you, guilt shining in them. "(Y/N), I'm not supposed to say anything."

You frowned. "Please tell me."

He sighed. "I know. I don't wanna keep it from you."

"But, Bunny..."

He poked at the ground with his paintbrush, turning the grass a rainbow of colors as he did. He was thinking hard. The way his muscles tensed and his fur twitched made you wonder if you should drop it. But this time, you felt that you couldn't - shouldn't. Finally, he said, "Your dad... Knows Pitch."

You gave him a look. "Bunny, I seriously wanna know."

"I am bein' serious," he insisted. "You have to believe me, alright? Your dad is Pitch's brother."

You shook your head. "That's impossible. My dad is mortal."

"No, he's not," Bunny said slowly.

Your stomach was churning. Suddenly, the appeal of Easter was gone. How could that be right? Bunny wouldn't lie to you. But why had he kept it from you in the first place?

"He kept the Guardians from you," Bunny continued as you stared at the grass. "Pitch had a force field up around that farm. They didn't think that you would be able to get out of it, but you were powerful enough to break through it. That's why North met you almost immediately - as soon as possible, anyway. We didn't want you to get hurt."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Bunny looked down slowly, twirling the paintbrush in his paw. You were looking at him now, hoping for a direct answer instead of a guarded one. Your curiosity was piqued, and if he left you hanging now, you'd be slightly upset.

He sighed. "I can't -"

"Bunny, stop," you blurted. Your voice had come out harsher than you intended. "Tell me." A black cloud of static had begun to float across your vision, making the image of him in from of you distorted. Dashes of light were forming at your fingertips. "Why didn't North tell me? Why didn't Manny tell me? What about you? Why 'can't' you tell me? You guys think I can't handle this kind of thing but I can. I want to be part of what you guys have. I'm supposed to be a Guardian just like you, and I want to be! Without you, I'd be alone again. I just want to understand."