Chapter 4 - Flights

But the real question here is why are you guys reading this? 232 Reads on a Bunnymund FanFiction? I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with a certain Pooka. 

North sent you away that afternoon, saying that he'd return. He probably wouldn't. You'd probably wake up in the same place you always did, alone and afraid. You shivered at the thought of it. 

You pulled your jacket tighter around you and pressed your satchel against your side with your free arm. In the other, you held an elf - North's promise to come back for you - in a weird cat costume that had been made in a matter of minutes. Your satchel contained three Easter eggs, Dreamsand, a snowflake that had been (magically) saved in a glass-blown globe, and... Teeth. Yeah, teeth. 

It was late fall, and the wind bit your cheeks. They felt red, and when you saw your reflection in a lake that you passed by on your way "home", your nose was raw and running. 

You didn't want to go back to that disgusting place, so you sat down on a park bench and pulled your sketchbook out from around your gifts. 

And, as if they day could literally get anymore magical, it started snowing. 

"Jack Frost..." you said quietly, turning your face to the sky. The snow twirled around you, brushing against your skin, almost beckoning you. 

"You like it, (Y/N)?" Jack's voice came from behind you.

"Like it?" you replied, spinning around to look at him. He stood there with his staff over his shoulder, smiling kindly. "It's beautiful."

He sat down on the bench next to you.. "Watcha writin' there, snowflake?"

"Nothing," you replied, abandoning the idea of writing when he was next to you. After all, you'd probably just end up writing about your day, and then where would you be? Another piece of fiction to send you a little farther off the edge. 

He set his staff down. "I have a question for you."

"Ask away," you said. You closed your book and tucked it back into your bag.

"When I first met you... How come you already believed in me?"

"I'd just seen you with my own two eyes," you replied, smiling at him.

"But you wouldn't have been able to see me if you didn't already believe."

You trained your eyes on the snow. "North told me about you guys."

"How come you believed in North? Most girls your age don't believe in Santa Claus."

You stood up and turned away from him. "What's wrong with believing?"

"N-Nothing!" you could hear him stand up behind you, and then his cold hand was rested on your shoulder. "I was just wondering."

"I needed something to believe in, and I got it, so I kept it."

"Hey, (Y/N)..." You looked at him. "I'm glad you believe." 

You smiled and nudged some of the gathering snow with your shoe. 

"Take off your coat," he suggested, poking your shoulder with his staff.

You whirled on him. "I'm no winter spirit, Jack Frost."

"Do you trust me?" he asked, walking in a circle around you.

You raised an eyebrow. "Yes...?"

"Then take your coat off."

You sighed and did as you were told. "Now what?" you demanded. He smiled at you and said nothing. You waited for a moment, but... You didn't feel the cold. "How...?"

"Told you so," Jack murmured. He swung his staff down and balanced on the floating stick.

You walked over to him. "Nah-ah-ah," he said with a smirk, "No shoes aboard the Staff ah lá Jack." 

"That's a dumb name for your stupid stick," you grumbled, but dropped your coat in the snow and tore your shoes off anyway. He helped you onto the staff and floated inches above the ground. Scared, you wrapped your arms around his waist. You flew over the fresh snow and frozen lakes. 

"You don't want to go home, do you?" 

You shook your head. "But I have to." 

"I have a place for you to stay." He turned around and smirked at me. "Bunny'll be glad to have you."