A flash of anger burned in her chest. He lounged by Morna as if he were placed there by divine will, watching every move Morna made with rapt interest. He laughed and talked, drawing out a smile from Morna every so often. The sight of Brenna's sister's teeth seemed to have a cheering effect on Afton. Brenna grit her teeth and clenched two fistfuls of gown.

Trust Morna to get in the way. Brenna sighed in frustration and struggled to free herself from her tight seating. Once she popped free she stormed across the room and stopped by the door to the small library. It was a few yards down from where Morna and Afton chatted, and where Aunt Perta and Aunt Nora were too oblivious to notice. Brenna waved her hand sharply, snapping her fingers to try and draw the attention of her aunts. Unfortunately, the dogs saw her first and ran toward her with sharp yips and disgusting slobber. Brenna shoved them away with her foot and finally caught Aunt Perta's eye. She beckoned them over.

"I need him alone," she said as soon as they drew near.

"Not going so well?" Aunt Nora asked, bending to scoop up her dog. It stared at Brenna with dull eyes.

"He keeps getting distracted. If I can get him alone, I can... well, I can persuade him with charms that I can't exercise out here."

"My, my," Aunt Perta said, clucking her tongue in disapproval.

"It's a few kisses or eternal obscurity. Which would you prefer, Aunt?"

"Saucy today, aren't we?" Aunt Perta said, raising her eyebrows.

"Never mind," Aunt Nora cut in. "Do what you must, but try not to go too far. We don't need any messy scandals to scare him off."

"I won't," Brenna said. "Just get him into the library."

With that she ducked through the doorway and left the hubbub of the crowd. She was now surrounded by a slightly dingy room, on the smaller size, that once had been a place for her Great Uncle to duck out of state functions and relax. A fireplace lit the room from one end, and bookshelves covered all the walls right up to the door. A comfortable looking leather settee sat in the middle of the room. This Brenna walked to and sat on, arranging herself in a casual but enticing manner. She kicked her pumps off, making sure to leave them where he'd see them, and tucked her legs up onto the cushions. Her arm draped across the back of the settee, catching the light in a soft gleam. She untucked a few strands of hair and softened her expression. The picture of unguarded maidenhood.

Maybe he'd finally pay attention.

She had to wait nearly ten minutes before the door opened and Afton came into view. He was facing into the ballroom, his face confused. She caught sight of her aunts' arms pushing him forward, and their voices babbling about him getting a breather from such a strenuous dance. Brenna didn't have time to linger on the implication that he'd just been dancing with Morna, before Afton stumbled into the room and her aunt's closed the door firmly behind him.

When Afton noticed her he drew up short. "Oh. I'm sorry, I thought it was empty..." He made back for the door, but Brenna held out her hand.

"No, please don't leave on my account! I only wanted a moment to rest my feet. We can share the settee." She pulled her skirts aside, revealing the cap of her knee just barely. Afton slowly approached, taking her hand and letting her pull him down next to her.

"Doesn't it feel nice to finally sit?" she asked breathlessly. She closed her eyes and tilted her head upward. Afton shifted next to her.

"I suppose..."

"I'm... I'm glad you came in here, Afton," she said, opening her eyes again and ducking her head. She summoned up a blush from somewhere and cautiously stammered out, "I've grown quite fond of you."

Afton cleared his throat. "Um, thank you."

Brenna turned to face him, desperation written on her features. She clutched his hands, pulling them to her heart. His eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, Afton, surely you must feel it too?" she whispered. Afton stared at her, and she calculated it was either now or never. She tipped forward, her eyes fluttering shut, her lips soft and ready...

Right when she felt the heat of Afton's breath on her face, a booming slam ripped into the room. Brenna screamed and jerked backward while Afton surged to his feet. They both stared at the door where Robert Glenfarrow stood fuming.

"Out," he ordered Afton, and his son promptly obeyed. Not so much as glance over his shoulder. Brenna inwardly frowned.

Robert Glenfarrow stalked toward Brenna, snatching her wrist and yanking her to her feet before she could stop him. His face hovered just above hers, his skin reddening and his jaw tightened. "You think yourself so clever?" he asked, spitting out his words. "You think I haven't noticed your little schemes on my son?"

Brenna scowled and tried to yank herself free, but his grip was too firm. "Let me go, you brute," she yelled, digging in her fingernails to his forearm. He hissed and released her. He clutched his arm as blood beaded from half-moon indents.

"Afton is to marry a princess that can help legitimize our claim on the throne, not a ridiculous girl from some country that gave up its own right for a monarchy without a fight," he said. "He is the most important person in Anjeluund, and he won't be wasted on a nobody with no money, no name, and no influence. So you'll stop your crusade for my son's hand, before I stop it for you."

"How- How dare you insinuate-" Brenna began, but Robert Glenfarrow cut her off.

"We'll stay for the hunting party, but once the week is over we're heading back for Anjeluund with no plans to ever return to Ittal again." He stalked to the door, pulling it open sharply. Before he stepped out, he gave her one more glare over his shoulder. "Good evening, miss."

The door slammed shut and Brenna's anger fumed in her stomach like boiling oil. She grabbed a handful of her skirts and stuffed them against her mouth while she screamed until her throat went raw.