'Jenna.' Clay called. 'I just want to do a little work over ditches, Blaze is rushing at them too much, not giving them the respect they deserve.'

'Ok.' I answered brightly, no thought of complaining.

My body was much stronger these days. A couple of weeks back I would have been sliding out of the saddle by now, but I could feel the difference all the riding, and yes the running, was having on me.

I walked Blaze around the edge of the field, giving him a few minutes to catch his breath as Amber and Phoebe disappeared out of sight. But I watched Clay. Something about his stance and the tension in him made me curious. He turned as soon as Amber vanished and he smiled at me, though it was tight and forced.

'Ok, come with me.' He dropped his head and walked purposefully away like he couldn't meet my eye. Although it didn't take long to figure out why. The further we followed him the more my chest tightened until I could hardly breathe. Please no. We followed silently, heading for the dark, shadowed home of the Devil's Dyke.

'Ok Jen, it's just another fence. I want you to circle, get into a good, impulsive canter and aim right for the middle of the first log.'

My whole body seemed to move into automatic. It had to, since my brain was standing wide eyed and open mouthed, gaping at the fence.

Blaze yanked at the reins, ready for the off. But I was rigid, fear and disbelief gripping my whole body like a vice.

'I can't.' I gasped eventually, halting Blaze by my uncle. I couldn't drag my eyes from the fence.

In reality the logs weren't even three three foot, and the ditch under the second log wasn't as wide as some of the others we'd been jumping. But in my eyes it may as well have been ten feet tall. My fear was making me think it was impossible.

'Of course you can. Don't overthink it. Just gather yourself up and ride at it like any other combination jump.'

Still in automatic I squeezed my legs and moved away. Blaze cantered easily, light as a feather in my hands, but I knew I was tense in the saddle. Still, I didn't want to let Clay down. I turned a circle as instructed and then pushed towards the fence. We found a decent stride, though more by luck than judgement, and slid over the three obstacles. It wasn't pretty but we did it all the same. Getting through it successfully should have helped calm me down to have another try. But it didn't. It was still as terrifying as before.

'You're tense Jenna. Take a breath, relax yours muscles and concentrate on getting a good stride.' Clay's instructions made perfect sense - but my ability to carry them out was an issue. I breathed. But it was hard and strained. I told my muscles to relax, which they did, for about half a second, before tightening even more than before. I tipped forward in the saddle, sending Blaze bounding forward excitedly.

'Steady!' Yelled Clay. But it was all too late.

I didn't see any kind of stride, but Blaze wasn't the sort of horse that would refuse. He flew into the air miles out from the first log and landed with such force that my rigid, ball like frame bounced straight out of the saddle. I was still mid air as Blaze skipped across the second log, ready to deposit me on the other side.

The ground rushed up at me, even though everything else seemed to be happening in slow motion. I felt the stirrups slide away from my feet, the reins uncurling themselves from my fingers, I could even make out each single blade of grass as they got closer and closer.

Luckily the crunch as I landed wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. One second I was in the saddle, the next I was sitting on my backside, bolt upright and my legs stretched out like I was ready for a picnic to be set down.