Chapter Twenty-Three

I awoke within an unfamiliar room, feeling groggy and slightly beat up despite all physical evidence proving otherwise. I had been placed unceremoniously atop of an unfamiliar bed, my shoes having been removed but otherwise untouched. As I sat up, I glanced at each of my arms, spotting the marks of Levi and Sebastian's bite already healed and fading slowly.

I looked around the empty room carefully. It looked average, without décor or otherwise used. The furniture around the room didn't match as if someone had just randomly selected them without concern.

I pushed myself to the edge of the bed, touching my head as though I could shove away the fatigue from it. Then I traveled across the room, accessing the closet absently. My clothes had been tossed without much care on the floor of the closet, causing me to hesitate before looking over my shoulder at the room again. I picked out a pair of pajamas, intending to go back to sleep as soon as I'd had a shower.

As I washed the dried blood and other filth from my skin, I began to recall the night before. I recalled the witches, their spell over my body, and the fear that held me then began to choke me all over again. I placed my hands over my face, my breath shallowing as I calmed myself. Sebastian had saved me. I recalled my hand over his chest and his soothing words. They would protect me.

Why couldn't I protect myself? If I had magic within me and could use it to tear down buildings and otherwise injure myself, why couldn't I use it to protect myself and those I loved? I looked at my hands with a frown. It was an easy answer. I didn't know how to use my magic. Sure, I had thoughts and some words in my mind occasionally, but the practice was something different. I needed help.

I finished my shower, brushing my teeth and finally dressed comfortably enough to feel prepared to sleep my fears away. But as I sat atop the unfamiliar bed, I found myself feeling more awake than expected. I crossed my legs comfortably, looking at the palm of my hand determinedly.

"Etign," I said quietly, waiting for a flame to appear. Nothing came. I frowned and tried again. "Etign." Nothing again.

"If you set my bed on fire, you'd better burn with it," Miles warned, causing me to gasp in surprise. I closed my hand into a fist, pulling it to my chest quickly. He stood in front of the bedroom door, leaning against it with his arms crossed. "What are you doing?" He waited for my answer and I swallowed with difficulty.

"I was... trying to use magic," I admitted honestly, glancing at my hand briefly before lowering it to the bed sheets uselessly. I thought a moment before an idea struck me. I turned my eyes on Miles with hope. "Can you teach me how to control it, Miles?"

He paused, watching me with quiet, fierce eyes. Then he lifted his hand abruptly, holding up a finger before placing it over his lips in warning. He wanted me to be silent. I watched him obediently as he tilted his head towards the door, no doubt listening for the others. Did he not want them to know about my using magic?