Chapter One

All Rights Reserved © 2015

Under no circumstances is this story to be replicated, translated, and/or distributed in any way without the permission of the author.

{{Warning: Some scenes may be unsuitable for audiences below the age of 15 and offensive to those of all ages. Read at your own risk.}}

-------------------------------------------------------------

I was born in flames and chaos. In one moment, I didn't exist at all. In another, air was tearing through the flesh of my lungs. Screams deafened me until there was nothing left but a high ringing throughout my skull. My skin felt hotter than molten steel. It felt as though I were liquid being poured into a vessel; I began at the center and then I expanded until I had arms, legs, fingers, and toes.

At first I couldn't see anything except distorted visions of shapes and colors behind blindingly bright light. And then there was only a black darkness. If I had any concept of time, I would have been able to accurately describe how long it was that I was in this darkness. Except to me, it was infinite.

The first thing I felt was the brush of something both frail and solid against my skin. I began to hear the cool whistle of air passing by me, moving the hair against my cheek lightly. In response, I opened my eyes, blinking uncertainly at my surroundings.

I instantly knew many things. I knew I was surrounded by a dark, ominous forest. I was laying in fetal position on the grassy floor. It was dark and I could see the stars in the sky blinking from behind the ceiling of trees. A chill was in the calm breeze that swam past me in careful intervals. I knew of these things, but there were infinitely more things I didn't know.

I didn't know where exactly this forest was located. I couldn't recall anything beyond opening my eyes to find myself here. I couldn't speak and even if I could, I wasn't sure what type of words would come out. I didn't have a name. I wasn't sure of my past, if I had one. I wasn't sure of anything. I was an empty vessel in an empty forest.

I pushed the palms of my hands against the ground and began to lift myself, attempting to sit up. My arms felt new and unused. They were both weak and strong; shaky and firm. As I lifted myself, my hair fell over my shoulders, startling me with its sharp color. Against the dark forest floor, the nearly white tresses were almost glowing.

I pushed myself to my feet slowly, touching my skin as I moved. I wasn't naked, which would have been expected at birth. Somehow I had been fitted with a soft fabric resembling sleepwear. Perhaps I had existed before after all. Maybe I had found my way to this land in my sleep and lost memories in the process. I had a deep feeling that I was missing something.

With great hesitation, I began to walk through the trees. I was clumsy like a newborn fawn. My legs were wobbly and my feet bare. Each step onto objects such as rocks or twigs sent uncomfortable pangs through my flesh which caused me to lose my balance constantly. I felt helpless and dirty. It wasn't long before my skin was assorted with minor scrapes and bruises. I wasn't even sure where I was going.

My walk through the trees was exhausting. I had nearly given up when they abruptly broke away into a view of manmade buildings in the near distance. I stood just behind the cover of the forest, peering out to the small town I had found. Once again, my mind jumbled with information; that that was a street lamp and beside that was an automobile. I knew their functions and I knew what the letters on the signs said. But I didn't know what I was. And I didn't have a name.