Chapter Two

I was in some form of Heaven. I had been plucked from the cement floor of a small town and was now in the arms of Oliver with Jax following close behind. They moved slower than they would have without me, but the speed was still breathtaking. I wondered for only a moment if I should struggle or try to preserve my life by other means, but something about being in Oliver's grip felt right. My instinct was to accept my fate, if only it meant having that warm sunglow embracing me whenever possible. I was already addicted beyond saving.

My wounds had stopped bleeding altogether and Oliver had been kind enough to remove the glass shard before taking me away. I knew I could heal at a faster rate, due to what I was. Jax had mentioned the word witch. It struck a nerve inside me, like catching a drifting scent of a favorite flower. This label, it also felt right, but not quite perfect. There was something within my existence that kept me together; something that I wasn't allowed to know of in the list of random information within my subconscious mind.

The men who were now in my company were something else, not witches. Whenever I tried to think about it, multiple words appeared jumbled in my thoughts behind images of fangs and blood. Strigoi, upir, baital, nosferatu, vrykolakas... it was all the same, despite the various myths. They were vampires. My thoughts felt incoherent when I tried to recall anything of importance about these beings beyond what my instincts decided to initially inform me. All I could come up with was that they used to be witches.

Besides, I couldn't think properly while enveloped in this warmth. I felt sedated and blissful despite the confusion of my situation. I had curled almost entirely too welcomingly against Oliver's chest and closed my eyes contently. My level of perceived informality and safety went so far as to allow myself to trail my own hands under his shirt as if he was a kindling meant to keep my fingers from becoming frostbitten. Occasionally, when I shifted in his grip to get more comfortable, he would chuckle most amusingly. I could feel it ripple through his flesh and against my fingers.

We abruptly slowed our pace until Oliver stopped altogether. Jax halted smoothly next to us. I didn't want to look around me, knowing this warmth was going to be taken away from me soon. For a moment, nobody moved or said a word and it was as though I might be allowed to stay like this, forever snuggled comfortably and oh-so cozy.

"It's hard to let her go," Oliver stated, his voice purring inside that addicting glow. "It feels like feeding, except without the blood."

"I felt the same," Jax responded beside him, his tone more cautious and uncertain. Oliver moved me in his arms, lowering my legs so that I could stand in front of him. I leaned forward almost immediately, lightly pressing my face against his chest. He chuckled once again, but I couldn't find it in myself to feel any embarrassment towards my actions.

Oliver gripped my chin, lifting me away from him. I opened my eyes slowly, startled by how close his face was to mine. I could see the glow on my skin under his touch reflecting in his onyx eyes. He inched closer, his breath on my lips.

"How does your foot feel?" He asked me, smiling mischievously. I cast my eyes down towards my right foot uncertainly, almost completely having forgotten about the injury in the first place.

"Better," I determined after a moment's assessment. He moved away from me suddenly, turning to address Jax.

"I can't frighten her. I couldn't even make her nervous. I must be losing my touch," He announced dramatically. With him no longer touching me, I could feel the glow of my skin dissolving at a slow but determined pace. The wind blew around me, reminding me of the chill in the night. I moved my hands over my arm, hugging myself uncertainly.