Alesa

The doctors announced that they'd be transferring Hannah back to Seattle. Her injuries and pain had subsided, so she would be safe to make the trip home. I would go with her and the twins, and Adam was going to stay back at the lodge with Winta, and they would drive home together.

---

Let me tell you, it was not easy sitting in the hospital room with Hannah. I wasn't sure when she was going to wake up; she had been asleep for a long time, and I was starting to get worried.

She finally started to toss and turn, so assuming she was awake, I said, "Hey, sleepyhead. How're you feeling?"

She didn't respond. Nothing. Not even a slight acknowledgement that I had spoken. I wasn't expecting much, anyways.

---

I think at some point I fell asleep. I had been in the hospital room for at least 24 hours by the time I did, so I needed some rest.

When I woke up, I noticed Hannah still hadn't moved, but her heart monitor was steady and the doctor said she was doing just fine.

It wasn't until the second day in the Seattle hospital that I saw her stir again.

"Alesa?" she said, her voice soft with sleep.

Alerted at the sound of her voice, I jumped up to go find a nurse or someone to come check on her.

"Doctor, she's awake!" I shouted down the hall. Doctor Martin walked quickly toward the room.

Hannah seemed dazed, almost confused at everything that was going on. I sat back and watched Doctor Martin handle the situation.

I was zoning out a bit, not really paying attention to the questions he was asking Hannah. I caught myself and forced myself to snap out of it right when he asked the month.

"Month? It's July," she replied. "Why?"

"Interesting," Dr. Martin mumbled to himself. He scribbled some notes with his blue pen. "Year?"

"2015," she answered confidently. "Why are you asking me these questions?"

I nearly choke on a sob. Hannah turned her attention to her. I felt my cheeks get wet with tears, and when I wiped them away, my eyeliner smudged on my hand.

"Alesa? Why are you crying?" Hannah asked. I didn't answer. I didn't have the strength to. I wanted to, though. I really wanted to tell her. It's not July, Hannah! It's not July! It's January, Hannah! It's 2016! Don't you remember? It's not 2015 anymore! It's January of 2016! But, of course, I didn't say any of this. I simply sat quietly, wiping away my tears.

"Hannah, I'm afraid I have some bad news," the doctor announces. I sighed, knowing what was coming.

"What?" she asked, seemingly bracing herself.

"It's not July, Hannah. It's not 2015. The correct answer is, well, it's January. January of 2016."

"That can't be." My stomach feels weak when I hear Hannah speak. She seems so sure of herself, but she's wrong.

"But it's the truth," the doctor insisted. His eyebrows crinkled as he stares at Hannah.

"But that doesn't make any sense," she argued,

"Hannah, I want you to listen closely," he said, ignoring her statement. I practically bawled my eyes out in the corner, hugging the twins close to me.

"I'm listening," Hannah announced, even though it looked like she'd zone out during his speech. He cleared his throat and began.

"Hannah, you were in a terrible accident. I want you to understand that. It's apparent that this accident has had a nasty effect on your memory. We'll need to run a few tests, get an x-Ray or two. When all's said and done, I want you to go home and relax, okay? Take it easy. The brain is a delicate thing, and if you want to have any chance of your memory returning, you'll have to eliminate the chance of further damage."

Hannah nodded her understanding. I knew she wouldn't complain about extra sleep; neither would I, if it were me being told what to do.

"Alesa, I want you to make sure she doesn't overdo it. No visitors. No bright lights, nothing like that. Just make sure she's comfortable," the doctor explains, addressing Alesa now. She nods, and wipes a tear from underneath her eye. He whispers something else to her for a moment, and then turns to face me once again. "We're going to take you down the hall for some x-Rays now, Hannah. Follow me."

---

When the x-Rays were done, Dr. Martin led Hannah back to the room. She was handed her day clothes (a sweater, winter coat, leggings, fuzzy socks, and UGGs), and we were told we could leave.

I took the twins out to the lobby while Hannah changed in the bathroom, and we met up by the front door. I was surprised the hospital was dismissing her after only a few days, but I wasn't complaining.

We climbed into my car together.

"Alesa?" she started. I didn't take my eyes away from the slushy road in front of us.

"Yes?" We turned a corner. The road began to look more familiar as we got closer to home.

"Where's Adam?" she questioned. Another corner. We passed the Rite-Aid down the street from us, and pulled into our neighborhood.

"He's driving home from the lodge with Winta," I announced. "We were on vacation when you got in your accident."

"What happened?" she asked.

"You'll figure it out soon enough," I replied flatly as we pulled into our driveway. "Your memory is going to come back, Hannah."

"But what if it doesn't?" she worried.

"It will."