Thirty: Music & Plans

Start from the beginning

My dad shook his head no. "No, Jay is not a different person. He just has dormant powers that are made specifically for protecting you."

"What kind of powers?" I asked very interestedly.

"You have like Sydney all heightened senses, but your strength is extreme. When you're in this state you can be stronger than even Sydney, making you perfect for protecting her."

"Now, we need to talk about last night and what all went down." My father said. "Sydney," My dad encouraged.

"Well Jay brought me to the restaurant and he talked with the Italian lady he knew-sorry I can't remember her name. After that, we went to a private room and talked a little. Then a friend of mine," I growled at the term she used, "Brendon came and introduced himself as our waiter. I didn't know he got the job, but anyways we talked a little and he asked if I could help him with a gig-"

Ash gasped. "No! We will not hand over the best pianist and guitarist we have!"

"I'm the only one you have," Sydney grumbled unsatisfied by what Asher was trying to pass as a compliment.

"Aw, come on Syd! You know that's a high compliment coming from me! Fine here, Sydney you are most likely in the top eleven pianists in the world."

"What about guitar?" She asked frowning at him.

Ash looked up as if the answer was there, "Ahh, top two hundred."

"Hmm, well that's good enough for me. But sorry anyways," she geared her conversation back to my father, "Jaycen became jealous and started attacking Brendon. After that Logan came in..."

"Wait so you are saying that this Brendon boy knows Logan? Brendon's human right?" My father asked.

"Yes he is. He had the smell of some wolf on him, but nothing too strange." I answered.

"But anyways Logan knocked Jay off of Brendon and before Logan could go after Jay I stood in his way. He tossed me around a little, but before I was out I saw Jay's eyes glowing white."

"What do you remember Jaycen?" My father turned his attention to me.

"The same thing, but when I saw Sydney get hurt, I lost it. I stood up looked at him, and that was the last thing I remember."

"Strange...I've never really heard of blacking out while carrying out the duty of protecting a white wolf," My father said perplexed. "I will look into it, but in the meantime, we should find out what is going on with this Brendon kid. Wait, Sydney he asked you to help him out for this gig, when is it?"

"Friday, so we have tomorrow and most of Friday to get ready. Why?" She asked, pensive.

"Why don't you call him up and tell him you'll help?" My father said thoughtfully.

"But wait, wouldn't he remember yesterday and what all went down and say no?"

Dad shrugged. "He may or may not. Call him up and say Jay and you shared too much to drink last night and you have no clue what went on, but you wanted to tell him you were up for Friday."

"Okay..." Sydney said wearily.

"Trust him Star. My dad knows what he's doing." I said in her ear hoping to comfort her.

"Okay, Mat, can I borrow your phone so I can call him up?"

Nodding Mat tossed his phone over to Sydney.

Unlocking the phone she typed in the password making a little pang of jealousy ring in me.

Tapping away seconds later she pressed the phone to her ear and waited. "Hello?"

"Hello? Who is this?" Brendon's voice came through the other side of the phone.

"Hey Brendon, it's me Syd. I'm sorry about last night, Jay and I kinda had a little much to drink yesterday and apparently, it got out of hand. But Jay asked if I was going to help you out Friday? I was wondering if you still needed that help for the gig this Friday?"

He was silent for a moment before answering her back. "Yeah! That would be perfect! But wait will you be able to learn the music fast enough?"

"What songs are you playing and what do you want me to play?" Sydney asked her eyebrows perched in thought.

"I need you on guitar. We are playing 'Your Body is a Wonderland' and 'My Life Would Suck Without You.'"

"Okay, send me a picture of the music—and good quality ones, please. I'll be ready." Sydney said looking at us with confidence.

"Will do, you're a lifesaver Syd."

"It's what I do," Sydney said nonchalantly.

Ending the call Sydney nodded.

"Okay, what do you need to learn this?" My mother asked.

"A guitar-electric, with the stereo equipment and tuning devices, and a room with peace and quiet. And Mat will you help when I'm ready for you to sing it?" She asked.

"You sing?" Terrence blurted out.

"Sometimes..." Mat said wearily.

Ash popped out of his seat. "What about me Syd!? I feel so left out."

"It's all good, I don't want to get this music mixed up in your head already," Sydney said.

"It's fine, I didn't even want to help you anyways," Ash said mockingly hurt.

My mother said, "Now's not the time to be bickering. Let's get Sydney set up and ready for Friday."

Looking to Sydney, I searched for any nerves or fear and strangely I saw none.

I didn't know if that was good or if it should scare me.

☽✣☾

EDITED JUNE 25 2020