Chapter 19 ~ Regression To The Mean

A/N thank you again to everyone for all your support, your all the best and don't let anyone tell ya different X

Sorry yesterday's update didn't come, I've been abroad and I couldn't get wifi🙄 but I do now so it's all good ☺️

This is dedicated to mattsmithismybae , my friend Maddie. Thx for the support ☺️ love ya mads💍

☄Stiles☄

It's been a week since me and Malia got back together, things have been good, really good. That's the problem.

There's a qoute Scott told me and it's stuck with me.

"Regression to the mean." He had said it so quietly I wasn't sure I'd heard it correctly.

"What?" I asked pulling my head up from my knees.

I was crying, my mother had just been diagnosed and Scott was trying to comfort me.

"Regression to the mean." He said again when I stared at him blankly he explained. "We learned about it in 'PSHEE' , if life is going really bad, it will have to get good again at some point, if it's going really good it has to get really bad, it evens the scale."

His young eyes bore into mine with innocence and hope. They lost that glow shortly afterwards and I wish they hadn't.

I wish mine where still innocent to, pure blue. But my eyes aren't full of hope any more. They're filled with experience, good and bad.

"Cheer up Bud, things can't get any worse. Your mum will get better."

But he was wrong, so very wrong.

"Stiles!!"

"Huh?"

"You've been shacking for the past five minuets you wouldn't say anything to me."

I look down at her she's staring at me with her eyebrows pulled together in confusion but her eyes wide with worry.

"I couldn't help, I didn't know how- you were shaking and I couldn't help and-"

"Shhhh, Mal it's okay."

I wrap an arm around her and kiss her temple, absentmindedly running my hand through her hair.

"I'm okay, we're okay." I repeatedly mumble the four words into her hair until she pulls back.

"Was it a panic attack." She asks still concerned

"No." I answer softly

"Then what were you thinking about?"

I take a deep breath, and don't respond.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk."

"No," I reassure her "I want to talk, I just don't know where to start."

"Start at the beginning."

I start by explaining what happened with my mum and then what Scott told me, how I'm worried about things getting bad again.

This time she's the one who wraps her arm around me and whispers soothing words into my ear. Not that her gentle phrases make any difference, it doesn't matter what anyone says as long as I have her, Malia.

We pull away when the door bell rings...

🐾Scotts🐾

"Derek!!" I bark into my phone, "where the hell are you?"

"On my way to Stiles's." His reply is just as angry as my question was. "To talk to Malia."

"Derek!" I try to stay calm. "Don't do this to her!"

"She deserves to know the truth Scott!!"

I can't figure out how to argue with his statement.

"But she's happy. Just... Just help her. Yeah?"

He sighs

"Of course I'll help her. She's family. I won't let them touch her Scott, I promise."

I let go of a breath I wasn't aware I was holding, I really hope Derek doesn't break his promise.

If he does, we're all screwed. Not just Malia, not just stiles. All of us. Everyone in this godforsaken town.

"Regression to the mean," I think out load before throwing my glass of water at the wall and sinking to my knees.

"Always has to be us, doesn't it."

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! What is Derek going to tell Malia? You'll have to wait to find out!

Haha I'm so evil.

Anywho...

Q1: Who is your favourite kick ass fictional character?
Mine is Raven Reyes because that girl has been through so much shit and she's still the strongest, most determined character on the show. I just admire how persistent she is.

Q2: What would you name a pet donkey?
I would name him oger😉

Q3: least favourite youtuber?
Sam pepper (do I even need to explain?)

As always, thanks for reading

-Scarlett Xx