Chapter Fifty

We wandered, like specters lost in an eternal night. Even the sound of our footsteps seemed soft and far away.

"Caleb?" I whispered. "Lily? Can you hear me?"

Bird?

I stopped dead it my tracks. It took me half a dozen heartbeats to comprehend that the voice hadn't spoken aloud.

J-Jasper?

I felt his relief, a cool wave. We're right this way. A sense of direction appeared, like a small stone dropped into the waters of my mind. You've got the keys, don't you? Oh, you're amazing, Songbird.

Shaken and confused, I led Melody to the cell where they were. Sure enough, I heard Lily's excited whisper not two paces away—"Bird? Is that you? Have you come back for us?"

I grasped her hands through the bars. "I always have," I said. "And I always will."

I fiddled with the lock, blinded by the darkness. Something clicked, and the gate swung inward with a chilling squeak. Caleb stepped forward and hugged me tight. I took a deep breath. He's free. He's safe now. Everything's going to be all right.

"Blue jay," he said, ruffling my curls. "Flyboy here told us about what's happened. And if you've come for us, that means you must have a plan."

"True enough," Melody replied for me. "The rebellion's gathering, Caleb. We need you."

He nodded, a phantom motion in the gloom. "I'm ready."

My cousins filed out, as did Lily and Dessa. I embraced Dessa briefly. "Thank you," she whispered.

Last was Jasper. He walked with a slight limp, which he hid when he saw me looking. He took my hands, gently concerned. "Blood," he said, studying my fingers. "Did they hurt you?"

"No, they...we climbed. Down. From Melody's window." I was suddenly nervous. Jasper was in the dungeons, same as Caleb and the rest. It was impossible to deny his innocence now; Vang wouldn't have imprisoned his own accomplice. How could I ever doubt him? He'd done nothing whatsoever to betray my trust, and yet I'd treated him like a criminal. He's not the red magician. He's just...Jasper. My Jasper. "I'm all right. It doesn't hurt."

"I'd heal you—I would, in a heartbeat, you know I would—but I can't." He snapped his fingers. A small burst of violet sparks hissed and fizzled to the ground, winking out. "Vang's men must have drugged me. My magic's just beginning to return, but even the simplest spells are beyond my power."

I looked at him with wide eyes. I hadn't known that that was possible. "And it will come back, won't it?"

"Oh, certainly. I'd give it half an hour. A wizard's body regenerates its energy remarkably quickly." He grinned at me. "I'll be as good as new in no time."

I looked down. I couldn't handle the guilt I felt when I met his eyes. "Um," I said, stuttering slightly. "Where's Ash?"

Jasper was perturbed. "Ash? He isn't here."

~~~

We left the dungeons and hurriedly ascended the stairwell; our footsteps echoed, making it sound as if a hundred men were marching with us. As soon as we stepped into the corridor, we knew it had begun. The castle was in chaos. Soldiers rushed about, making preparations, and military leaders barked orders. No one paid us any heed.

"The rebels," I gasped. "They've arrived."

Caleb strode forward, his hand near the hilt of his dagger. "Behind me," he said. "Don't make eye contact with any of the guards."