Chapter Twelve

We crested the mountain's summit at dawn, and we lingered there for a little while, overcome. The view from the peak was absolutely breathtaking. The Deep South unfurled like a map before us, a vivid sea of light, shadow, and color. A few small clouds drifted silently above the horizon. Icy wind whipped past, making my eyes water and filling me with a sense of delight and freedom. Everything sparkled. I'd never been so far away from home before.

"Halfway there," I said, and sang of happiness.

We set out again; the sled I was being pulled on lurched into a smooth glide, its runners slicing the freshly fallen snow. Sitting atop it made me feel as if I were floating. The journey was much easier now that we were making our way downhill rather than up.

Lily, Channing, and Emmy were in a cheerful mood, but I could sense a shadow of anxiety hovering over Caleb. A small, worried crease appeared between my eyebrows as I watched him. He walked with his head bowed, and it almost seemed as if he were avoiding looking at the beautiful scenery below. Perhaps it wasn't beautiful to him. Perhaps the tiny, distant towers dotted here and there reminded him of Dessa.

~~~

"All right," said Caleb at last, leaning his shoulder against a tree as he struggled to catch his breath. "Everyone, into the sled."

My friends shrieked with excitement, racing over and crowding into the sled with me. I scooted aside to make room for them. "No more walking!" cheered Emmy.

"For now," Caleb corrected. He joined us. It was a tight fit, and my injured leg was a bit pinched, but there was just enough room to hold us all. "It's a good thing you added these walls to it, little brother."

Channing smiled proudly.

"I hope you know how to steer this thing and not get us all killed."

Channing stopped smiling.

A moment passed as we got situated. There was a bit of shifting and shuffling, but finally it all worked out. Caleb was in the back, with me in front of him, and then Emmy in front of me. Lily sat at the fore of the sled, and Channing was behind her, putting his arms around her so he could hold the steering rope.

I felt a pang of uneasiness. This slope was far steeper than the one back home, and there were plenty of trees for us to crash into. A single solid collision would destroy our sled and knock us all unconscious.

"Everyone lean forward," ordered Caleb.

"Is this a bad idea?" asked Emmy as we obeyed.

I considered this. "Probably."

"Here we go!" shouted Channing, and in the blink of an eye, we were off.

The sled streaked down the mountainside, skimming over the snow and churning up clouds of frost. Our descent was sudden and violent. Caleb and Channing yelled with boyish excitement, while Lily, Emmy, and I shrieked like little girls at each bump that we hit. I clung to Emmy so tightly that it was a wonder she could still draw enough breath to scream.

The cold air stung my face. Thin, dead tree branches lashed out at us like whips, moving too swiftly to see. Each one dove unexpectedly, like a hawk narrowing in on its prey. "We're going to die!" Channing hollered. "This is awesome!"

We must never, ever tell Aunt Finna about this, I thought, squeezing my eyes shut.

Eventually, the slope eased enough for us to force ourselves to a stop. We were a fourth of the way down the mountainside. Our sled slowed, and snow piled up against the front and sides as we drifted to a peaceful rest.