Chapter 58

I wake up to a loud beeping as our alarm clock signals that it's time to wake up. I groan and roll over, accidentally rolling onto Tobias in the process. My face lands on his chest and I throw my arm over him. He wraps his arms around me and hold me against him.

"Good morning, Tris," he says. I groan in response and he laughs at me. "We need to start getting ready. We have to leave for Candor in a little over an hour."

I groan again before I push myself up and stumble to the bathroom. I quickly brush my teeth and then get in the shower. The water helps to wake me up and I get out feeling more energetic and ready to start the day. I'd still rather be asleep though.

Once I'm out of the shower I get dressed in a nicer outfit consisting of a black long sleeve button up shirt with a collar, a black pair of jeans, and my nicer boots. I also pull my hair back in a braid. I try to look decently nice for this since it is important but it's nothing really formal. I examine my face and see that my bruises are almost gone. The one from Molly is just slightly brown and the one from Ed is a light black that has clearly faded. I debate putting on makeup to cover them but decide not to take the time.

When I'm ready I walk into the kitchen to eat a quick breakfast while I wait on Tobias. He got in the shower after I did so he's a few minutes behind me. I grab a bagel and am in the middle of putting cream cheese on it when I feel two arms around my waist pulling me back against a strong body.

"You look good, Tris," Tobias whispers in my ear. It sends chills down my spine and I feel my lips stretch into a smile. I turn around in his grasp and wrap my arms around his waist.

"You look good too, Tobias," I respond. He laughs slightly and runs a hand over my hair.

We lean in, our heads slowly moving close to each other. Just as we're about to kiss there's a knock on the door. Tobias sighs in frustration and walks over to the door. I groan slightly to myself.

"It's time to go. Are you two ready?" Tori asks when she walks into our apartment.

"Yeah, I've just got to finish eating my breakfast," I tell her. "I can finish it on the way though."

"That's good because we don't want to be late," Tori replies. "The last thing we need is for Candor to think we're trying to hide something."

"I thought that we had nothing to worry about," Tobias points out.

"We don't have anything to worry about. Being late isn't going to help us though," Tori tells him. We leave the apartment and start walking. I eat my bagel on the way. While I'm eating Tori and Tobias talk about various things that may happen at Candor. We've been through a trial while under truth serum before but now it's different. This time it seems like we have more to lose.

"Tori," I interrupt, suddenly focused on something totally irrelevant to their current conversation. "Have you ever hear of someone being immune to truth serum?" Tori stops dead in her tracks. She looks around but since we're outside there isn't anyone around.

"No, because it's impossible. Nobody is immune to truth serum," she tells me like it's a warning.

"Tori..." I trail off. She ignores me and speeds up. A few minutes of tense silence later we get in the car. Tobias and I get in the back and Tori gets in the driver's seat. She takes a tight grip on the steering wheel and takes a deep breath.

"Tris, you can't talk about these things in public. People no longer care if you're Divergent but they still want certain safety measures in place. For them the truth serum is a safety net. If you go around saying that it doesn't work people are going to have a riot."