Chapter 44

We get to Uriah's to play Candor or Dauntless and I notice that everyone else is already there. I look at the clock and realize that we're 20 minutes late. How did that happen? I felt like I just left the cafeteria ten minutes ago but it's actually been and hour.

"Sorry we're late," I say as I sit down.

"Tris it's not your fault; you have your arm in a sling," Marlene tells me.

"Let's just play the game," Uriah suggests. "Alex, Candor or Dauntless?"

"Dauntless," Alex replies like it's a challenge. "Do your worst."

"I like this girl," Uriah announces. "I dare you to go act like your on peace serum in the Pit."

"I've never been in peace serum so how would I know how to act?"

"Trust me, you should be glad you've never been on peace serum," I groan thinking back to my short time in Amity. "Basically act overly happy and do anything you can think of that's an Amity stereotype and that's what being on peace serum is like."

"How would you know, Tris?" Uriah asks me.

"Don't push it," I tell him as we leave to go to the Pit. When we get there Alex plasters a giant smile on her face and starts running around. She does kart wheels and compliments people on random things. She even asks someone if they like butterflies and sunshine. Eventually she runs back over to us and we go back to Uriah's apartment. It takes us a minute to stop laughing when we get there but eventually we do calm down.

"Tris, Candor or Dauntless?" Alex asks me. I choose Dauntless. "I dare you to tell us how you know so much about peace serum." I groan in response and Uriah laughs at me.

"During the war a few years ago we went to Amity for protection since they don't believe in violence. Well, while we were there I got in a fight with this jerk and in response they put me on peace serum. Let's just say that I will never do it again. Lynn, Candor or Dauntless?"

"Dauntless."

"I dare you to find Ty and punch him as hard as possible."

"Who is Ty?" she asks. I wave my sling around in response. "Oh, that's right! Sure, let's do it!"

We all follow her to the Pit since that's where we're assuming he is. It's almost time for the initiates to be in their dorms so if he's not there that's where we're checking next. When we get to the Pit I see him heading toward the dorms with Vince and Madison.

"That's him," I tell Lynn and she calmly walks over to him. She taps him on the shoulder and he turns around.

"Oh, you looking for a boyfriend?" Ty asks as his eyes skim over Lynn. We have to grab Alex to keep her from rushing at Ty. In response to Ty's attempt at flirting Lynn punches him square across the jaw. He falls to the ground and she whispers something in his ear before she storms off.

"What did you say?" I ask.

"I told him I have a girlfriend," Lynn replies as she wraps her arm around Alex's waist.

Ty looks up and sees us standing there. He starts to walk over but I seem to be the only one that's noticed. I quickly reach up and pull Tobias's lips to mine. He seems startled but kisses back willingly. He would probably kiss me even harder if he knew Ty was watching but he still doesn't know.

"What the heck, Tris! You claim that you have a boyfriend but then you're here kissing Four!" Ty exclaims. "How would your 'boyfriend' feel if he knew you were kissing Four?" He uses his fingers to put air quotes around the word boyfriend which just makes me even madder.

"Don't mess with her," Tobias growls as he pulls me even closer to him.

"Why do you care?"

"Because you're messing with my girlfriend."

Ty's face goes pale. "What?"

"You heard me. I'm her boyfriend and if you have a problem with that then too bad. We've kept this hidden long enough and it's starting to cause problems. You need to go away," Tobias hisses in a low tone that sends shivers down my spine.

"H-How do I know you're serious?" Ty asks in a trembling voice.

Tobias grabs the front of his shirt in response and pulls him up so Ty's looking in his eyes. "Because I am serious and you don't want to test that. Do you understand?" Ty nods yes and looks like he might pee himself. "Good." Tobias lets Ty down and Ty quickly runs away. We turn around and see our group of friends staring at us.

"Is he always like that?" Alex whispers to Lynn but we all hear it. Lynn laughs before she responds.

"Pretty much, but it's worse when people mess with Tris or when he thinks she's dead or something."

"What?" Alex asks sounding really concerned. "What do you mean 'when he thinks she's dead or something?'"

"Well, two years ago Tris decided it was a good idea-" Lynn begins but I cut her off.

"My story, so I get to tell it," I tell her before I explain everything to Alex. By the time I'm done we've walked back to Uriah's apartment and get to continue playing.

We end up playing Candor or Dauntless for about another hour before we call it a night. I'm exhausted. I guess that can be expected when you've had such a crazy day. Tobias and I walk to our apartment and go to get ready for bed. My stupid sling and hurt arm keep getting in the way while I'm trying to change and somehow I manage to get my head stuck in my shirt.

"Tobias, I'm stuck," I say as I sit down on the edge of the bed. I hear him walking into the bedroom from the bathroom.

"What do you mean?" he asks as the footsteps get closer. "Oh."

"I'm stuck," I tell him again. I try to move toward where I think he's standing but I hear him laughing from behind me so I guess I'm totally confused. I really can't see anything through this shirt. Next time we blindfold Uriah and have him walk through Dauntless for Candor or Dauntless I know what we're using as the blindfold. He could totally see through it last time.

Tobias walks over to me and starts helping me out of the shirt. The whole time he's working on it I keep asking myself how I got stuck in a shirt because I really don't know. When I'm finally free again I see him smiling at me and silently laughing.

"What?" I ask as I cross my arms. He keeps laughing and I can't help but laugh with him. Today has been such a mess. I wrap my arms around Tobias and rest my head on his chest. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I slowly move my head up so my face is level with his. His eyes are closed which makes what I'm about to do even better. I gently press my lips to his and kiss him. He kisses me back without objection. I rub my good hand up and down his back. Eventually he asks if I want to go to bed and I agree. It's been a long day.