Chapter 3: The Little Butterfly

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Nova

Do I dare play with fire? I don't want to get burned. It was probably a crime for me to just think about leaving my home and going back to see Korbyn. If he wanted to kill me, he would have. My mind raced with an internal battle, feeling as though if I did return, I would be betraying my parents and the trust they had placed in me. That part of me that was full of wonder about wanting to really understand a vampire, was going to get me killed if I indulged that side.

The peach was absolutely delicious, making me feel like I was a queen eating such a precious fruit. If I did return, I could hopefully get more of those peaches and then my parents could enjoy their decadence.

I could only assume it was morning when I woke, stirring as my eyes blinked several times before fully becoming aware of my surroundings. As always, it was dark, but at least my eyes had adjusted thanks to staring at my closed eyelids all night.

That darn generator...if only my father could fix it.

That would require him going into town and most likely, never returning. Though vampires could only walk the Earth during the shroud of night, it was still very much dangerous as there were other creatures that vied for invaluable resources. My father enlightened me when he had ventured into one of the nearby towns one day and was almost killed by another family of humans. You would think they would want to work together when there are so few of us, but no, they just cared about themselves.

Fortunately, it had been a warning for my father, because as he was leaving the town, he heard their bloodcurdling screams echoing in the distance. It was a harsh reality of the world we lived in, that our lives meant so little.

We are fragile, completely breakable.

It wouldn't have surprised me if that was the entire reason our species had been eradicated. Who wants weak beings taking up space on such a small world? Well, I really didn't know how small or big the world actually was, as I hadn't been too far from this place...this place I grew up and considered my refuge. This shelter had provided for me, why would I ever leave it?

Maybe it had something to do with how I suddenly had butterflies tickling inside my stomach when Korbyn said my name. Or the way he looked at me, unlike any look my parents had ever given me.

"I'm scared...I don't have the courage to go back now," I whispered to myself, swinging my legs from under the light sheet and touching my bare feet on the metal flooring. I shivered from the sudden icy contact, glancing down at my bedside table and reaching for the handle to pull out a plan black bra and cotton underwear, a violet v-neck t-shirt, my second pair of slightly fading jeans, white socks, and my whitish mud-covered sneakers.

Taking my brush and running it through my tangled bedhead hair, I smoothed it out. My mother had fashioned me what she calls a hair tie from some fabric from old clothes she no longer wears. Fixing my hair up on the top of my head, I decided to throw on my dark gray hoodie for today as my other one might give me away to anyone who might have seen me the other day. I liked to vary my small wardrobe when I could, though, I really didn't have a whole lot to choose from.