Chapter 42. ( Master of time )

Start from the beginning

Bella slowly rose from Edward's side, looking in the faces Aro and Maria. A quick count confirmed what her heart already knew, there were too many of them. This was a battle they could never win. She stood there tensed and concentrated, thinking of a way to save her family from annihilation. This was the moment in the future, where they were all going to die. Bella knew it. She had tried to prevent it, but it was to no avail. Jasper was fighting for Edward's life and the rest of them wouldn't have much longer. Loud growling startled her and she looked behind the circle of vampires.

It took Bella a moment to understand what was happening when some vampires turned around to defend their backs against something coming from the trees. Bella could see more than a dozen werewolves surround the vampires that were surrounding them. They had all come to help her.

'They were close all along, but I had asked them to keep a distance, so I could see better in your future. It was the only way to successfully track you down fast enough.' Alice whispered to her.

Although it improved their chances, there were still more than twice as many enemies, not to mention Aro with Jane, Alec and Coraline. Bella couldn't see how they could win this battle. The faces of her family were grim, but determined and there was no mistaking the intention of the growling wolves. They all meant to fight and even if they would win, Bella knew there was no way they would all survive. She stared to Edward's fading life and knew he was the first to die. She couldn't stand it, but even self-sacrificing would not be an answer now. Aro and Maria would still kill everyone.

The only thing left to do was stand and fight. She began to think fast. She had gained some information about herself. She turned towards her memory and heard the words the man called Rafe said again. What had he told her mother?

'She holds past, present and future. She holds time itself.'

She remembered every word and thought about her abilities. She saw the future just like Alice, but that ability wouldn't help her now. She already knew the future and didn't want to be reminded of the outcome of this battle. The past had helped her in many ways, but there was no time for the past to help her now. The answer had to lie in the present.

But she had no power over the present or did she? The answer came to her in a flash. Her ability to freeze. She had always assumed it was something different, but she suddenly understood where that ability came from. She wasn't really freezing that person, she was holding the present. In a small form she was freezing time itself. Understanding her power gave her a strange new control over it. She suddenly saw the frames of time around her. Each person was occupying his own line of time, standing in a moment of the present.

'Jasper! Step away from Edward!' She called.

Jasper looked at her surprised, but she knew he trusted her. He stepped away and let go of his ability. Bella immediately held Edward in the present, freezing him in the moment between life and death. She could preserve his life and she would do so forever if it was necessary.

Freezing Edward saved him for now, but it didn't save them. Their enemies were preparing to attack. She looked at each of them, seeing the frames of time they were currently occupying. She couldn't freeze all of them, could she? Already she felt a drain in her energy from holding Edward's frame.

She remembered the shield she placed on her entire family and how it affected her. It had nearly cost her life and she was no good to them dead. She understood that her shield and her regeneration's abilities came from the power of good, as Coraline's ability to induce fear came from the power of evil. Her ability of time came from something else, from who she was. She didn't know the answer to that question or at least didn't understand it, but she was suddenly sure of the separation in her power.